5 String Questions

totally makes sense to me.

really I don’t understand why you would go more in the treble with a bass … which is the instrument that does the opposite of trebles. I don’t understand this way of thinking.

BEADG or AEADG are the obvious tunings for a 5-string in my opinion.

2 Likes

Yeah. I generally use ways to get lower, not the opposite. Bass timbre sounds weird with those higher notes too, IMO. I would much prefer a guitar there.

I only need a G string on my bass because Peter Hook, otherwise BEAD would be just fine for me.

1 Like

I agree so much. that’s why we have basses and guitars I guess :joy:

EADG is still a legit bass register I think :slight_smile:

1 Like

Might want to look at a Bass VI. It’s tuned this way from the factory

1 Like

It is.

One thing I did love about the Peter Hook Bass Centre Elite strings was that he uses like a 0.060 as a G string. Basically a small D string. That actually felt and sounded awesome. It also broke the nut and I had to get a new one :rofl:

yeah a lot of tuning there

These are real cool instruments, but are definitely in the guitar family, not the bass family.
You can’t really play them fingerstyle.
It’s gotta be a pick.
And they sound like guitars - there’s lowness, but not that deep, rumbly low you get from the low E on an electric bass.

I love my Bass VI, but mostly for making cool western-soundtrack sounds.
I’ve doubled bass parts on country records (gives it a cool plunky layer) but never used it as a substitute for the bass.

But - coming from guitar - this might be just the perfect thing?

1 Like

I agree! I seriously explored the bass VI route and came close to buying one, thinking erroneously it would be a 6 string bass. However, my research revealed it to be nothing more than a throaty guitar. A great concept, but not a bass.

I’ve got a 35" six string tuned like a Bass VI. I’l thought they looked cool and as I had a sixer, I bought a set of strings to give it a shot.

It does bass things just fine

1 Like

True, you can tune a 6 string bass that way and it sounds fine. However, that’s not the case if you purchase a bass VI. That’s what I learned during my research.

1 Like

Even cooler when pink!

2 Likes