Introduce Yourself! (2024)

Welcome to the forum! This is a great place to make your first post and introduce yourself to the BassBuzz forum family.

You probably already sorta know me :crazy_face: , but it’s another year, so here are some even randomer facts about me to get the thread started:

• Started playing bass at age 13, but first instrument was the vibes…
  • I played in a ska band in high school, and was once the owner of a checkered tie.
  • I’m so famous that I’ve been recognized in Trader Joe’s not once, but TWICE.
40 Likes

Hello! My name is Marshpoc and I have recently purchased my first bass. Looking forward to learning this instrument and having fun along the way!

19 Likes

Welcome, @Marshpoc. Glad you’re here. If you haven’t signed up for Josh’s great Beginner to Badass course, you should. It’s fun and the best way to learn. Enjoy!

8 Likes

I’m not so sure that is you. I don’t see the Banana Tattoo. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Happy New Year @JoshFossgreen !

12 Likes

Welcome @Marshpoc
Have fun!

6 Likes

Hello, basspeeps! I’m old, sort of, late 60s. I bought a bass, looked at it for several years, and now that I finally found the perfect lesson launching pad, am finally starting to make practice a habit. A couple of lengthy side detours for forearm tendonitis; such is the life of most older carpenters. Patience and persistence. My stubby little pinkys will not hold me back. Thanks :slight_smile:

18 Likes

Welcome @Marshpoc and @MarkS !

5 Likes

Hello!

I recently turned 50 and have played guitar since about the 8th grade. I never really gave it the dedication that it deserved, though, to be honest. I’d learn riffs and solos, and do an awful lot of noodling. I did have some rudimentary understanding of basic music theory concepts, but it’s far from complete. I never even managed to fully memorize the fretboard. And my sense of time wasn’t great at all. I guess that’s what happens when you just noodle.

I bought a Sterling Stingray last year, but still never really got into it. Then, somehow the lights came on. The more I played bass, the more I loved playing bass, and was motivated to learn this “the right way”. I’ve replaced the Stingray with a couple of Sires, sold my guitar tube amp and picked up a Fender Rumble. I play and practice pretty much every day now.

I’m going through the Beginner to Badass course currently. As it was made to start at the absolute beginning, it’s a little slow going currently, but I don’t want to skip anything for risk of missing out on some foundational concepts that I’ll need to build upon later. Based on all of the videos Josh has posted on YT, picking his course was a no-brainer, and I’m glad that I did.

Anyway, that’s me. Glad to be here!

21 Likes

Welcome, @MarkS. Glad you’re here. Enjoy the lessons!

4 Likes

Welcome, @fennario. Glad you’re here. Congrats on your Sires. They are fine basses. Enjoy the lessons!

5 Likes

Welcome @fennario !

4 Likes

Welcome @MarkS
Have fun!

5 Likes

Welcome @fennario
Have fun!

5 Likes

Hi I’m Sam,
I play mostly for fun but I do play with an old Highschool mate. Fender P-Bass and a 2000 jazz bass. I like blues mostly , Just bought the Fender American professional 2 P-bass dark knight. I played years ago then sold out and have been back playing 3 or 4 years.

13 Likes

Welcome @Medicineman
Keep on having fun!

4 Likes

Welcome @Marshpoc, @MarkS, @fennario, and @Medicineman!

Speaking of keeping rhythm, @fennario, I recently started playing a bit guitar and am fascinated by strumming patterns. It’s as if I finally got past the “count out rhythms and then play them” to a place where I see a connection between the beat, keeping time (internally or with another body part) and my right (plucking) hand. I think playing bass will really help you with that, too, you just came to it another route. :slight_smile:

Happy new year!

6 Likes

Hello Folks!

I’m a 28 yr old from India & It’s been 6 months since i took up my first bass(Yamaha TRBX174EW) and started learning through the B2B course. It has been a blast so far.

I sort of had an epiphany moment when i recognized that most of my liked songs had a cool and groovy bass-line in common and I knew Bass was my instrument. I intend to finish the course soon and start learning full songs.I am currently learning to cover Supermassive Blackhole by Muse on the side.

One of the good things that happened on this journey is the exposure to different styles and genres of music and some amazing Bassists. I am into all sorts of music including Classical, rock, metal, indie.

Happy to be here i hope to interact with all of you!

18 Likes

Welcome @SteppenWolf !

6 Likes

Welcome Steppenwolf! It’s funny how this happens, I’ve noticed the same thing. I’ve been stuck in rock/blues/indy land, and now after starting with bass I can hear a pop song that grooves and absolutely appreciate it.

8 Likes