4 Likes

Welcome to the forum!

4 Likes

Welcome

4 Likes

Welcome!

5 Likes

Hello all.

I am Tony aka boilermage (Purdue graduate, hence the boiler. Old school Dnd player, hence the mage). I am a 56 year old electrical engineer/engineering manager who started my musical journey in 2011. Rocksmith was released into the world. I lived 1.5 hours from any major city, my commute to work was a nightmare. I was gifted a Yamaha acoustic guitar from an engineer who moved away and was downsizing. Rocksmith required an electric guitar, so I purchased an inexpensive starter guitar by Ibanez which came with a bag and amp. I practiced erratically, learned a few songs, but something was missing for me. My favorite musicians are Jack Bruce (my dad was in a cream cover band in the early 70s), Geezer Butler, Flea, and Geddy Lee. I realized what they had in common was they were bassists. Flea had a company that was selling Fleabasses and I bought a Fleabass Model 32 “Water” bass. It’s beautiful and I love the bartolini tone on it. I returned to Rocksmith and Rocksmith 2014, discovered customforge and started a journey to learn bass. Well, rocksmith is all well and good if you want to “practice” but I was not learning anything other than how to play some songs.

A divorce and move impacted my life, I started watching bass videos on youtube… discovered Josh Fosgreen, Scottbass, Charles Berthold. While the others are great players, Josh has a kind way in his approach and inspired me to sign up, purchase a Squier 70s Vibe bass and start my Beginner to Badass course. To be honest, I have not completed it, but it’s my new year’s resolution to do so. I was watching a video online and one guy said the best thing you can do is get lessons. So, I started going up to the Guitar Center and talking and avoided signing up. That is when I discovered that the entire store is full of demo instruments and not only do they want you to shop, they don’t care if you try any instrument in the place. So, in the last 4 weeks I have spent over 60 hours in the store. I am there so much, they know me by name. They are a friendly crew and treat me well, give me suggestions, listen in and we share outside interests… so they are slowly becoming friends. One of them comes over to tell me there is a new bass instructor starting the first of the year, he plays bass… ONLY bass, and was recorded on over 14 albums last year alone. So, I handed them my debit card and bought lessons. I don’t have a start date yet, but this is my opportunity to finish Josh’s course beforehand.

I have been learning basic blues bass lines and find myself improvising (god I hope that is not a mistake), but it’s fun to play around. Then last night, on new year’s eve… I saw my dream bass (did not know I was dreaming of it before I pulled it down and played it) at the Guitar Center. A slightly used Fender Jazz Bass Special (Boxer) Bass in Sherwood Green (Green is my color) and I fell in love. I played it 3 hours in the store, played it against every instrument that I had found I liked the most and then 3 more hours last night. I have connected to my new baby and it’s wonderful.

So, that is my story so far.

My next task is to become a competent bassist, find a group to play with…
Then to build my own effects (What is the point of two degrees in electrical engineering) if I dont try.
And I contacted a place in louisville ky where they teach you how to and you make your own guitar. If they decide to make bass guitars in the near future, I will be signing up.
I figure all those things will make me understand the instruments better, the things I can do with tone and of course, I can hopefully someday play bass for the pleasure of others. Even if I don’t, I am playing for my pleasure… so that’s good enough for now.

Thanks for reading.

@JoshFossgreen Thank you for your website, your videos (keep them coming), and your Beginner to Badass class and most importantly for inspiring me.

12 Likes

Welcome @boilermage

4 Likes

Great to have you here @harrison-layton

3 Likes

Great to have you here @jimmy3link
Sorry for your loss.

3 Likes

Great to have you here @jce8988

3 Likes

Great to have you here @boilermage

3 Likes

Oh Lord you’re all coming quick and fast!
Welcome to… @harrison-layton , @jimmy3link , @jce8988 and @boilermage !

My sympathies for your loss @jimmy3link

5 Likes

Welcome @boilermage !

3 Likes

Welcome @boilermage
Have fun!

4 Likes

Welcome, @boilermage. Glad you’re here. Enjoy!

3 Likes

Welcome @jce8988 and @boilermage !

4 Likes

Another year, another introduce yourself thread! -

10 Likes