50 First Songs 100 Week Challenge

Baseless track.

Thanks!
I’m trying to set this up in Reaper but for some reason I can’t get it to play the backing track. I’ll ask in the proper channel.

1 Like

@groaner you can also use the regular track. Record your track as a separate one.
Then EQ out the bass from the main track in your DAW

There are lots of different ways to achieve the same outcome.

I don’t like the software that strips out the bass as it tends to take out some of the other stuff like drums.

Playing with the EQ will also teach you where the bass sits in the mix.

2 Likes

You will most likely need to ‘arm’ the track to play before ‘playing’.

2 Likes

Check this video out.

3 Likes

@groaner check out these tutorials that @John_E and I put together. Hopefully there are some useful nuggets of information there for you.

2 Likes

Thanks all, I got it figured out. Plug in headphones to DI.
When you are done, Render the song to save it with the backing track otherwise it’s just the bass.
I’ll check the other info @PamPurrs thanks!

5 Likes

Pam, I just watched the video and audio editing video and that was super helpful! Thank you and @John_E for that workout! I’ll go through the first one another time.

5 Likes

Are people still doing this? Can I just jump in and start now?

1 Like

Yes! Open to anyone any time.
People come in and out all the time.
No one had finished them all yet, so you can be the first! Lol

6 Likes

So… I just got my butt kicked by “Billie Jean” in Module 4. I haven’t delved into the 50 Songs List, and I just saw this thread and I think this might just be what a need for a minute is to play some easier songs and have a little fun. So thank you to JT for starting this thread and for everyone else keeping it alive. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Awesome! I’m all over finishing it. I think I’m ready to post another brick in the wall tomorrow.

5 Likes

Did people stop posting vids or stop learning in sequence? Or are there other threads that I am too incompetent (lazy) to find? :smiley:

S

3 Likes

Never mind. I see they are in discrete song threads…
I’ll get me coat…

S

4 Likes

I completed B2B and I need to get in on this. I need the structure. I have played a few of the songs, but now I am going to go through the list from the beginning. I am glad to see that many others are plowing through it!

6 Likes

Please do @Mike_A !

The 50 song challenge teaches you a lot.
Every song is chosen by Josh for a reason. They all build a skill or skills specifically needed for that tune.
Time changes, fast chugging, syncopation, etc.

I think you will find you learn as much or more than the course by the end.

4 Likes

I have two favorites I practice lately:

• Should I stay or should I go - The Clash
  • Lady Madonna - Beatles/Paul McCartney

Start practancing slowly. The faster it goes, the more fun it makes.

Cheers
Alex

6 Likes

This is a great idea! Nothing gets your chops up to speed like learning a ton of songs. Those are PRO musicians on real tracks and learning what they do will level up your fingers in no time :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Since I’m having a little trouble to understand the specifics for this topic, can you please tell me if I’m wrong ? From what I understand, this topic encourages to play and try one of the 50 songs every 2 weeks … right ? So this month should be :
26-Dec-2022 Sunshine of Your Love Cream
16-Jan-2023 The Chain Fleetwood Mac
Is that it ?

2 Likes

Hi @mediaklan absolutely not. The timescale is very much up to you. If you do one song every 2 months it doesn’t matter.

Just pick a song you like the look of and give it a go. No pressure, just have fun. The bonus is that it really improves / supercharges your progress by focusing on learning songs IMHO.

If you don’t like any of the songs you can always pick one you do like and post it in the ‘post you covers thread’. It doesn’t matter how ‘well’ you play. It’s just the giving the thing a good go that’s important.

https://forum.bassbuzz.com/t/post-your-covers/3763/8409?u=barney

4 Likes