Pam and John's "How To Record Yourself" Parts 1 & 2 (Audio & Video)

@PamPurrs and I have put together two classes to help our fellow Buzzers out when learning to record yourself and your trusty bass.

Part 1 - Audio

Part 2 - Video

Original Post:
As we sort out a date/time for the Zoom, starting this tread so folks can watch for it and get notified when we set it up. The recording will get posted on YouTube and linked somewhere here for all to reference. @eric.kiser, is there a way to sticky this somewhere if it turns out good (no promisesā€¦yet).

This will be broken into two parts.
Part I - Audio Recording
Part II - Video Recording + Audio

Here is our working agenda for Part I:

1. DAI - what it is and 2 popular examples (Scarlett Focusrite +
  2. DAW - what it is and two examples (Reaper/Abelton), places to go to learn more
  3. How remove bass from a backing track and import to your DAW
  4. How to connect your DAI get your bass in a track via your DAI
  5. Recording (setting levels - basic overview)
  6. Final mixing/listening back
  7. Exporting your finished audio

All experienced recording folks are welcome to come and add value and throw in tips.

The intent though is to not get into the weeds of each topic but go over the basics of going from ā€œHow the hell do I do thisā€ to ā€œHey, I made a recording worthy of sharing with the worldā€.

As we go we will collect links to all the tools, etc mentioned in the zoom and link them to the video, etc.

Part 2 will follow and discuss combining that audio track with a video track, syncing and exporting for sharing on Vimeo. (COMING SOON)

Here is our working agenda for Part 2:

1. Taking Video - phones or webcam/gopro
  2. Capturing ā€˜ambientā€™ audio (for syncing)
  3. Video editing software options
  4. Bringing your video and audio together in editor
  5. Syncing video and audio (auto-sync and 'by waveform)
  6. Removing the ā€˜badā€™ audio, replacing with ā€˜goodā€™ audio
  7. Adding simple titles and transitions
  8. Exporting your finished video
  9. Uploading to YouTube / Vimeo

Please throw a comment below so you are notified when the Zoom is set up.

42 Likes

This is a great idea. Iā€™d definitely be interested.

5 Likes

This has been a long Time coming. Iā€™m glad itā€™s finally coming to fruition.

7 Likes

Iā€™m looking forward to it.

Josh can ā€œpinā€ it so it comes up at the top of the list of unread topics but that only lasts until someone reads it the first time. When itā€™s ready, just ask him.

For anybody that wants to keep up with a specific topic, the can click on the bell to the right and choose the Watching option. Then they will get notified of every new post. Just like if somebody tags you or posts on a topic you create.

4 Likes

I am ALL SORTS of interested in the final product, but I donā€™t know anything about it. So any advice I could give would be worthless. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Sounds great - looking forward to itā€¦

4 Likes

I am interested in this topic!

4 Likes

Great initiative, thanks @John_E and @PamPurrs

4 Likes

Great - sign me up!

4 Likes

comment thrown

4 Likes

Very interested in this! Great idea :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I am definitely interested!!! Well past time for me to learn how to do this and stop using my iPhone for all videos - and as a bonus, I get to buy home studio gear!! Woo-Hoo!! Thanks @John_E & @PamPurrs

4 Likes

Yes @JDDaniel I guess @John_E and I should add a disclaimer to this, stating that weā€™re not responsible for the GAS you might get from participating in this session.

6 Likes

10-4 @PamPurrs

My Sweetwater Sales Engineer has given me a quote and is ready to make a sale I am sure, whenever I am ready to pull the trigger to buy the new gear. Iā€™ve been busy with other stuff the last several weeks (vacation, oldest sonā€™s wedding, etc.), so that part of my GAS itch, hasnā€™t been scratched - but will be soon. LoL

4 Likes

Iā€™m interested in recording, so count me in

4 Likes

Is recording the Zoom chat an option too? In case people canā€™t make the live show? Thanks - I was just wondering today how folks remove the bass from the backing trackā€¦

6 Likes

yes put this up on youtube if at all possible. great idea guys.

5 Likes

We are recording and will be on YouTube with links to all gear etc.

8 Likes

Thank you :+1:

6 Likes

Great stuff. Glad your doing this. :+1::+1:. Awesome sauce.
:blush: Thanks.

3 Likes