Post your covers! (2023)

Also, even if video covers are way more fun and entertaining, an audio-only cover is still perfectly acceptable on this thread :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Posting this here as well as the 50 first songs thread. This is officially my first cover. All in all I’d say it went well. Took some time screwing with Moises & Ableton getting everything hooked up and sounding right. Not sure how long this will stay up on youtube for but here’s my audio track for Another Brick in the Wall. Did a video too but had trouble syncing the video with the audio so it’s audio only. Love this song but I had never played it before today. Hope you guys enjoy!

https://youtu.be/fXQGEk9YcJU

13 Likes

Working on it :+1:

Portishead - Glory Box, doesn’t get much simpler than that :wink::smile:

2 Likes

Superb tune :sunglasses:

2 Likes

@Barney You seem to have enjoyed recording this :smile_cat: . Very tasty, sometimes all a bassist needs are long notes.

@Al1885 The heck, are those strings upside down? Galloping can be so hard to play, great stuff!
Is it me or that Mustang is buzzy a bit? Sometimes I think I’d like to get Mustang again, but I didn’t like Jazz nut width on Mustang PJ.

Couldn’t agree more, that gear rabbit hole is too deep. Now I was thinking of getting a five’er…
Also it’s much easier to record with laptop, something like Photobooth on Macbook, and then video edit with iMovie. No need to transfer stuff around.

@Ant Awesome work, keep it up! Btw if you are gonna do audio only stuff maybe Soundcloud is easier option for uploading?

All in all strong start to 2023 with covers, good job everyone, just keep it coming.

4 Likes

@ant terrific job man!
Sounds great, great groove

Here’s some tips on syncing etc
Any questions please ask either of us on this thread:

2 Likes

congrats on this first cover ! you did very well.

4 Likes

Thanks @Growl its not you the entire session was buzzy. It’s not the basses. It’s the cable from the iPad to my amp. I didn’t hear it but once in post it was too late. Lol.

Yeah it’s upside down string like playing left handed, it’s mind bending a bit. This is when instinct can’t take over. Consciously playing is very difficult because you have to take everything into account timing, fingering, muting and orientation. By the time I get to the second cover I was more relax.

Highly recommend anyone to try it.

2 Likes

That’s a great tune @Ant always great to hear a Pink Floyd. You did great and stayed in the pocket the entire time.

2 Likes

Every instrument in this song is straight-up pimpin’ the sound. Excellent song to learn for anyone.

1 Like

Heck I missed this part. So on how I approach syncing is simple.
First start video recording, then audio with some empty space, as many bars as you need.
In that empty space I do one hard pop, and it’s picked up by laptop mic and also through DAI.

So that pop is the point where you line up/sync audio and video, then just do cutting and video editing.

P.S. Don’t forget to remove audio track picked up by mic from video.

2 Likes

nice job! I love Murphy’s YouTube channel.

2 Likes

It’s not so much an issue with my know how, rather I am still using a 2011 MacBook Pro that is so painfully slow, running ableton, iTunes and my internet browser makes the fan run so hard I am afraid something might explode :rofl:

Been eyeing a new MacBook but I’m not sure I want to drop $2k at the moment. I hear really good things about the new MacBook Air and those are a bit more reasonable at $1200

1 Like

Great first cover @Ant ! Keep them coming!
:+1:

1 Like

Try reaper or garage band instead.

1 Like

Here is one from the 50 Song Challenge, linked here.
For so little actual playing, it’s a lot of fun to play!
The goal here was to learn a tune in a day and record it.

https://youtu.be/LsNej7QRazw

12 Likes

That peavey sounds tight and angry. I love it. This by no mean a gimme. Great job @John_E is it active? Of course it is with that many knobs lol.

1 Like

Thanks Al

nope, lol.
Vol/Tone for each pickup, but…
Tone knob work like this - 1-7 is single coil mode and tone control / above 7 puts the pickups in humbucker mode.
One toggle for pickup selection.
One toggle puts the pickups out of phase for the most nasaly sound in the land.

2 Likes

Very nicely done, John. One of my favorite Fleetwood Mac songs covered beautifully!
:+1:

4 Likes

Great cover @John_E
My missus who is a massive Fleetwood Mac fan thought I had the original playing

4 Likes