Post your covers! (2024)

Here’s one I tried to learn a while back but I couldn’t figure out how to get the right tone. Sounds to me like the bass is run through an octave pedal, so I added a bit of octave to my recording. Spent the last five days learning this one…I’m pretty sure I got it right but there’s a lot of quick runs that were hard to decipher. Close enough anyway :man_shrugging:

I could probably practice this one more but I need to get it out of my head and move on…something about repeating the word ‘Satan’ over and over is just giving me bad vibes :rofl:

Cake - Satan Is My Motor

7 Likes

This ditty popped up in my Facebook memories today, so I thought I’d share it.

Slayer - Die By The Sword (1983) bass cover

11 Likes

Sorry for your loss man. I lost mine in December. I’m with you!

2 Likes

Very sorry to hear Barney! The “upside” of “unexpectedly” is likely that it wasn’t a long, drawn out process, which is something to be grateful for, even in a time of loss…

2 Likes

INXS - NEED YOU TONIGHT https://youtu.be/37YnYB1uY7Q?si=jYzg0iP8FA5kQpDs As always, thank you for watching. I realize the sound quality isn’t the most spectacular like some of the other videos that get posted here, but I have a lot of fun recording and posting videos just the same. I appreciate the positive feedback as well. Have a great weekend and Happy Easter to all!

11 Likes

As a positive feedback and advice I would say that you could make your covers sound way better by improving your recording method and skill. We have a great tutorial about this : Pam and John's "How To Record Yourself" Parts 1 & 2 (Audio & Video)

:v::grin:

3 Likes

Oh I’ve already checked all that out. My issue is I am dealing with a laptop that is over 10 years old. The side is cracked and it has windows 7 haha :joy: Not really the ideal piece of equipment to help me along the way. I am looking at a newer one but had some other things came up that required our money at the moment, my wife’s pending knee surgery being one. And of course you have Uncle Sam wanting their property tax increases on top of inflation. It’s just never ending nowadays. I will eventually get better equipment and will then be able to change it up for the better. Thank you for the feedback I appreciate it.

4 Likes

Learned a pretty bass centric song since it’s been in my head for a while. I couldn’t find any tabs for it so it’s one of the few songs I learned by ear. I’ve been able to recognize that most songs from an album use similar shapes just on different parts of the neck. So learning this was an epiphany moment.

Deftones - U,U,D,D,L,R,L,R,A,B,Select,Start

15 Likes

Vicious Rumors - Don’t Wait For Me (1990) bass cover

12 Likes

So sorry to see this @Barney, I had thought you were on a world tour playing bass and making wooden things. :rofl:

This part of life is filled with things you know are coming but are never really ready to deal with. Glad to see you though.

Cover sounds great. I mean really great. You sound like a bassist! Well done man.

3 Likes

I am a HUUUUUUGGGEEEE Carpenters fan (balances KISS out). This sounded so so good and full of cheese. Perfect tone and playing. Awesome.

3 Likes

I love your tone here. Nice and snappy. Different from original but I like it.
Nice playing!!!

Hair bands unite!

2 Likes

The Sonics are one of those bands that I love and forget to listen to enough.

This sounded really good. Nice playing.
The camerawoman did a fantastic job.

2 Likes

Fantastic finger work Cakeman!
Tone great too!

1 Like

Nice follow up to the Carpenters :rofl::rofl:

Tone a little muddy but great job with the galloping. !!

1 Like

Hard to hear this one with all the bass distortion in the recording. I guess the Christmas tree absorbed some of the bass in that room :rofl::christmas_tree::santa:

Nice playing thou!!

2 Likes

I really hate how relaxed you look playing. lol

Well done. These repetitive riffs can be quite difficult to keep sounding solid. You did great.

2 Likes

Ooh I like this one! Never heard of them but like your playing and klang-y-ness. !!

2 Likes

Yea, some of the videos come out halfway decent and others are blah sounding. I don’t change anything on my amp or basses. I can’t figure it out. Once I can get a new laptop, I’ll start trying to use the interface and make the sound quality better. For now, I have two choices, have fun doing videos with what I have to work with, or quit for however long it takes me to buy new equipment. I’d rather continue to do what I love but certainly don’t want to post videos that are unappealing or whatever. It is what it is at the moment. Thanks though. Yea, maybe the tree was a good omen :blush:

4 Likes

Killer cover. Great playing. I dunno if it was just me hoping for it but I coulda swore that I saw the bird head banging a bit at the beginning. Ha ha.

2 Likes