Slap bass

K I will as soon as I’m home

1 Like

Oh sorry I missed this. Oh a couple. More than I need and a few less than I want.
Here’s a few that I can fit in my bass shed

4 Likes

Wow these are all yours??

1 Like

Yeah but they are all old new stock closed out deal of the century even the preorder ones, sold to me by the 3d year old rep I went to high school with, lol. That’s what my wife knows.

1 Like

Oh hell that is crazy huge action, no wonder you have issues slapping.

Look into setting up your bass if you dont have a luthier who could do it.

How do you even manage to fret the notes?
You must have built helluva finger muscles.

Spot the difference.

Yes I see the difference.

@pinkBassgrl88
I’ll give you quickstart on how to do setup without special tools, guerilla style.
You need allen keys which you got with bass, small one and big one, and Philips head screwdriver.

1. Neck relief.

You can try eyeballing, but as you are possibly not able to do this on your own do next things.

With your left hand fret 1st fret, while with your right hand thumb fret 15th fret, then with your point finger try to reach as close to 7th fret as possible while holding 1st and 15th, and using point finger press and let go of the string. You should have really small gap of string movement space between fret and string at 7th fret, like if you stack up 2-3 papers height. And do this on E string.

Now if you have too large gap, which you 99% do have, find your truss rod bolt. On most of the basses it’s on headstock and to straighten the neck, insert allen key, make sure it’s slotted, and do gradual turns clockwise, and then check the gap again and again. If you can’t turn allen key cause of strings just loosen A string and move it outta nut when you are turning truss rod bolt. Before you test the gap tune the A string again. If you have to use a lot of force to turn the truss rod bolt, it’s time to stop.

Again, do this is small gradual steps, small turns.

1. String action/height

Get that small allen key, and lower the saddles all the way vertically, by turning those 2 small bolts on top of saddles, then gradually start to rise them up string by string. Keep it on the point where you have no buzz on all of the frets.

1. Intonation

After you do relief and action, your intonation is going to be messed up.

You need philips head screwdriver for this. Plug in your chromatic tuner, make sure that tuning for each string is perfect. Then fret the 12th fret of eg. E string, play it, it also has to be perfectly tuned just like open string. If it’s flat you have to shorten the string, if sharp make it longer. You do this by moving saddles on the bridge horizontally. You will find screws on the backside of the bridge. If you are making it shorter make sure that screw is not going outside of the bridge, slight tap on the screwdriver will push the saddle and screw back in if it’s not moving. Retune the string, and test 12th fret. Repeat till perfect.

P.S. Make sure you dont pull the string when fretting on 12th fret, press it directly downwards. It may screw with your tuning.

2 Likes

Thanks friend… I do appreciate this help. I do pretty well which is incredible with the gap but I would like to do as you where explaining.

After setting up it will be day/night difference. You will be playing even more. Also you will be able to play faster and better.

And slap will become possible too.

1 Like

Man you’re the shit I fixed the strings on my bass and oh my God I can slap even better it’s amazing you’re amazing thank you. And my guitar sounds 10 times better thank you so freaking much :heart::heart:\m/

7 Likes

Awesome @Growl

Now let’s hear it post some fragments or the covers on respective thread you’d be surprised how well you’d progress when you start recording things. Lol.

1 Like

How do you record

You are very welcome. Glad you did it. Now enjoy it even more.

Regarding recording you would need DAI. I forgot exact name of the thread where its explained in detail.

@Al1885 help out here.

1 Like

@Al1885 yes plz help a sista out :grin:

1 Like

Found it.

1 Like

Yeah thats the stuff :slight_smile:

Disclaimer: this can be long, lol.

Ok I do it much less professional way than @PamPurrs and the @John_E. I record mine live with video through an interface of some sorts. So check out some of my covers first the song “Between Us” has 2 versions and it separates the different method of recording. Let me know which one you like better then I can go through each with you.

For some reason the link I posted kept come with different thread. So do a search on @al1885 user index video.

First you’d need a tracks separation app. Moisses is the one I use. It’s very good and I just pay for the subscription. It used to be very easy as you can copy and paste the link from youtube but they put a stop to that. You just have to take a step further by doing screen recording the song then upload from camera roll. No biggie.

The simplest way and cheapest way is to find some kind of phone stand and just record but the distance between the phone and the amp is pretty big so you’d hear the room “live” noise, but it gets the job done.

Next up just a step above is to get some kind of mic that you can connect to the phone and point it pretty much in front of the amp you’d get less room noise and better audio quality.

Jumping up to the more pro-am you’d get some kind of live mixer interface like the Roland GoMixer Pro (X), it would make your life very easy recording video and audio for many applications. There’s a cheaper and better alternative to the GoMixer option, which is the MoMix. It has pretty much the same features and functions but with 2 keys benefits 1st it’s much cheaper, and 2nd it uses USB type C connection. Roland use the old micro USB which is pretty weak and mine after a few uses just crapped out.

You’d connect your bass
Connect the Audio source
Connect a headphone and/or an amp
Then connect to your say iPhones via lightning cable adapter
Turn on your camera app or the Roland 4camera app and start recording

That’s how I used it on the first half of the covers I did. I also connect an Ashdown TonePocket between my bass and the MoMix to get better control of the tone.

Then my current setup for cover videos I use the Zoom Q8N 4K camera. It’s not much of a camera but it’s considered to be the best and most flexible camera for audio recording. The camera itself has a very wide almost fisheye lenses but you can crop it. It feature XY mic and 2 XLR inputs all with its own volume knobs as well as headphone/ monitor out with its own volume adjustment. Each time I record I’d get a video file and 3 audio files one music, one bass, and one room (live) recording.
The economy of effort prevents me from using this in the final mix because it’s take a long time, lol.

My setup
Connect a bass to a Direct Box you don’t need to but why not
Then connect to 1st input
Connect the audio mix to the second input
I can record straight up like this with headphone but
I add a small mixer to separate the audio mix and also connect to my amp so I don’t have to use the headphone.

When I’m done recording I just put it on iMovie add some filter and simple editing and save to file then upload to YouTube or Vimeo. If I do multiple basses video I put it to my LumaFusion App (I couldn’t figure out how to do it on my iMovie or FinalCut Pro) do the editing then load it on iMovie and so on.

If you want to get into some video recording the MoMix options is the best bang for the bucks the units is $109 vs $150 roland GoMixer pro x. A few cables if needed thats it.

Let me know if you have any questions.

1 Like

Awesome thanks so much @Growl

2 Likes

That’s actually pretty good. And never thought Jazz Hands…here is another good one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RElQPdGkFlI&t=14s

1 Like