Slap bass

Hey y’all I’m new to the bass I’ve always wanted to play and here I am. Anyways. I’ve got the bass down but I can’t figure out how to slap bass. It’s so hard can anyone help me out? Thanks my name’s Jessi. By the way

4 Likes

Welcome Jessi, it’s awesome that you have a goal.

This a great place to start https://youtu.be/UfdG9gsAGlI

5 Likes

Awesome i appreciate that alot.

2 Likes

Once you are on the way to clean tone hit me up for this tab
https://youtu.be/nW9LuEjcLiM

3 Likes

Cool is there like a. App to download or anything

1 Like

For buzzbass

Bassbuzz

Omg bassbuzz

1 Like

Hey Jessi! That’s great to hear. I didn’t start slapping until I’d been playing for 8 years and now it’s my favorite thing to do. It’s never too late to start! =D

I second Al1885’s video recommendation. Here’s another great one.

More than anything, I’d just advise taking things slow, being patient and having confidence that the technique/muscle memory will come together. My experience was that I wasn’t able to do much for a while…and then just one day, something clicked and I suddenly felt comfortable. Being consistent is key!

Oh, one other piece of advice - be as relaxed as you can! Tension in your hand is a technique killer.

Best of luck!

5 Likes

Not one I’m aware of, but check out the YouTube channel lots of great contents there.

2 Likes

Funky and sweet.

3 Likes

Here is another great slap beginner tutorial.

5 Likes

If you mean for the beginner to badass course, then no - you sign up and everything is on the web… Or you can select physical media, if you prefer. There’s a slap module within that course - and the course is well, well worth the investment. If you’re a new player, it will get you up and running in no time…

3 Likes

Did you do the course? There is a module for learning basic slap.

2 Likes

Welcome @pinkBassgrl88 !

1 Like

I doubt that jessi will be back she did her job introducing the big nerd to his channel which coincidentally all about slapping, lol.

The timing was just too bad.

I can’t get any noise out of the bass when I’m trying the slap bass I feel like my strings are to tight idk. I’m trying to stay patient but having a hard time.

1 Like

What do you mean I wouldn’t be back?

Everyone has this problem when first learning to slap. It can be really frustrating. My advice would be to be patient, relax your thumb, and just try only focusing on getting something out slapping the open E.

I didn’t get a halfway decent slapping sound until I decided to take the day off work and try it for ~5 hours.

Beyond that, if your strings are really old this could be sabotaging your efforts as well.

3 Likes

Maybe try lowering your string height! I play with very low action and it works great for me. A little buzz here and there but it doesn’t really come through the amp and it’s well worth it IMO. If strings are too high off the fretboard, it can be pretty tricky to get a good clank sound!

3 Likes