Slap bass

Cool I’ll check it out. Thank you

1 Like

Where are you slapping? What helped me in a huge way was moving where i was slapping. I play j bass, and i was slapping between the front pickup and the neck. Someone here told me to move up to the heel of the neck, it was some of the best advice i ever got. It really does work.
My slap is terrible, and i dont plan to challenge anyone anytime soon, but it surely did improve it.

2 Likes

I have a. Rand new bass my husband bought it for me for my bday in August so she’s new.

2 Likes

Brand new*

2 Likes

What did you get?

I played this today at the local music store. It’s not an expensive bass, but it sure did play nice. I think I’ll be asking santa claus for one…

I’m not real sure of a model number. It was a spector performer

1 Like

Hey Jessi, welcome to the community.

Explaining how to slap is very weird, since it’s mostly subjective, ways to slap are many.

When I was starting out, I also has issues with bounce slap, I guess it takes time for muscles to get used to it. What I did was slap through the string and rest on string below. But this is the case if your slap posture is that thumb kinda parallel to strings.

If you are persistent to learn bouncing straight away best thing I can tell you is try machine gun approach. Relax your forearm and fist, and kinda half relax thumb. Thumb should remain straight but also like a whip. Go crazy rotating forearm till you get the sound you want, you will eventually figure it out. And just keep doing it even if you sound is not where you want it, with enough tries/practice it will click.

Also action/height of strings is very important, higher the strings are from fretboard more power you have to use to get slap sound. And newer the strings, brighter/zingier the slap is.

Don’t get stressed over it, just have fun.

P.S. It will take a while till you can produce decent slap on g string.

P.S.2 Writing the “g string” always gets me.

1 Like

Big coincidence, lol.

New member first post asking about slapping at the same time new member first post answer the post with his channel about slapping.

The odds is just astronomical on this small forum both of you should go get lotto tickets.

Again welcome to the forum and hit me up for the tab.

3 Likes

16706259382122130348057808408240|375x500
Sorry

Guys I got the slap down. I’m so stoked about this.

8 Likes

:star_struck: :boom: :tada:

4 Likes

Great work!

3 Likes

I see you already figured it out - great job! - but thought I’d share this somewhat silly video I made about which muscles you’re using when you slap:

7 Likes

@kristine Really good job.

3 Likes

Thanks @booker_t !

2 Likes

That’s awesome, welcome to the “slappa da bass” community :sunglasses:

I’m still new to slap, but now generally find slapping the E string with fretting up to about 5th or 6th fret fairly easy. Beyond that, the sound starts dying a bit so need more practice. I also find the other strings more difficult as it’s easier to hit the wrong string or at least catch part of another string. It does start to get easier and getting the slap/pop going is quite satisfying.

I practiced slapping the table when I first started trying. If you slappa da table and your thumb doesn’t immediately come back up, it tends to hurt, so you know if you’re doing it right when it doesn’t hurt. Probably not the best method, but it worked for me :grinning:

1 Like

@kristine You (to borrow the famous line from the Martian) Science the sh!t out of this, I love it, big fan Huge fan!

3 Likes

Aw, why thank you! Yes, yes I did science the sh*t of it lol!

2 Likes

I love it

I’ll have to try it out. I’m still having trouble. Should I get some new strings? My husband bought my bass for me in August. Still has the original strings on. I tend to get frustrated when I’m slapping an end up slapping to hard. And so I put my bass up and walk away other wise if be there all day.

1 Like