Slap bass

Not sure about new strings. I’ve got a Squire Jazz from about 9 years ago and it still has original strings. It hasn’t been played a massive amount but it’s been left out a bit. It still slaps ok.

1 Like

Don’t worry about strings, with older strings you just wont have that zing, which you can partially recover by lossening them up, and poping them hard against fretboard (pop them on every part of their length). So what it does is gets rid of gunk between wounding. Then you just wipe the strings, you will hear the difference.

As I probably said before, beware of action cause high action is what makes slaping hard.
Lower the action, less power you need for slap.

If muscle memory/technique is the issue, dont worry, it will come with time, just keep doing it.

3 Likes

I have watched every tutorial video on the internet and I still can’t manage to get any decent tone from my slap. Obviously I am the problem here, for whatever reason I just can’t seem to make it sound even passable. There’s plenty to play that doesn’t involve slap but I love the tone so much, I wish I could figure it out. Considering paying someone to teach me at some point so for now I have given up on slap

1 Like

Thabk you I’m going to try that today an see.what a difference it makes.

Slapping is a bit different because in general you’d want a snappy clean tone so round wound would be the best choice, best stainless or coated string I’d revise the Ernie Ball Slinky or super slinky as well as Fender 45.

Non slap applications is different some want them old and grimy for a nice warm tone, ABBA bassist is known to “loan” his new basses out to a friends for a few years to “break in” the strings. I wish I’m not germaphobe OCD, lol.

Here she is

9 Likes

Black pink. I love it. It’s one of my next project. I’ve done a couple of white pink.

4 Likes

Do you build guitars or what do you mean your next project

1 Like

love EB Slinkies! :smile:

I upgrade the pickup and pickguard. On the first one you see, I swapped out the neck to the roasted maple neck, install pickups and electronics as well as the Hipshot Tuner, bridge, and pickguard, well yeah pretty much everything just started with Fender Body and Neck and upgrade everything else, lol.

Next project I have a black body, red EMG pickups, black Babicz bridge, not sure what tuners yet. It would be the BlackPink Theme like the singing group, lol.

2 Likes

what would you upgrade on my bass?

1 Like

How many bass do you own yourself?

1 Like

I wouldn’t recommend going that direction yet, until you try out few more basses.

That’s forbidden question, his inventory is like retailers. :rofl:

Btw mind taking picture from the side of yours bass, so we can see height of your action?
Closer to the 12th fret, the better.

2 Likes

true. I think black strings on it would look sick though! :ok_hand::grin:

No I’m not doing anything to it. I’m just curious what he would upgrade is all.

I agree

Don’t understand what you want me to do sorry maybe I’m stupid :crazy_face:

1 Like

Like this I believe :+1:

2 Likes

Black or pink string you’d give up on the clarity. Color coated strings tends to be a bit duller which is ok for anything else but slapping, knit picking of course. It sure would look good.

Omg those would look sick.

1 Like