Post your covers! (2023)

Ah, distractions!

This morning, I got up and thought, right work through a lesson … i started, the started playing the bass like to Groove is in the Heart (at the required 122bpm, it’s certainly a finger workout!), then took a look at the Sisters of Mercy song Lucretia My Reflection, it’s basically all about the bass line!! There are just so many groovy songs out there I want to have a go at!! Oh, and my wife caught me looking through a bass tab of Bowie’s Cat People this evening!

So come the end of the day, I’m still at 70/109…

That cover is very good, @Barney !

That’s another thing I should actually sit down and work out how to do, properly record myself! Trouble is, investing time to do that gets in the way of learning songs :rofl:

4 Likes

This is a fantastic song!

3 Likes

Isn’t it! Love me a bit of Bowie!!

2 Likes

To start with @sunDOG just use your phone for video and audio. It won’t be great audio quality but it’ll get you started. You don’t have to post it anywhere. But it’ll give you a frame of reference to look back on. You can sit back and review yourself and look at areas that need work. Think if it as a tool.

You’ll be amazed at how far you’ll progress in a year if you put 1-2 hours in a day.

4 Likes

Yes, been doing that since the get go, but as you say, the quality is pretty questionable. My challenge is that I want to play the bass, not work out how to properly record myself. I think this is a function of having limited time, balancing work, being a decent father, cycling training (even in the off season, I’m still riding 100 miles / 160km per week) and learning / playing the bass, which is hopefully going to evolve into playing with others in the New Year, if the plans come off…

2 Likes

It’s another rabbit hole, but we can help cut through the info and speed up learning…

These are long, but chapter markers will help

2 Likes

Thanks for the great feedback John… Have a great holiday!

1 Like

https://youtu.be/SzcvEeni6ZM?si=TYN61GDYZKaqdtPV A very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!

7 Likes

Nice job “Kzoo” :facepunch::sunglasses:

2 Likes

It’s a bit of a process. But I learn something new with every song I record. A day when you have a little more time try something new. The first few times editing sound takes a while but I can do it much much quicker now.

2 Likes

Every so often I get the “You look like Simon Pegg” comment. I don’t see the resemblance, but it makes me laugh.

7 Likes

I had a comment once, where the guy said I looked like Hugo Jackman. Same thing, I don’t see the resemblance.

hug

3 Likes

Ummmm, I can kind of see it…

2 Likes

Man, i had to change video editor and it feels like im on fire while trying to learn it lol.

7 Likes

I didn’t realize his name was “Hugo”, I always thought it was Hugh Jackman haha :joy:

BB King - The Thrill Is Gone - Live version… I tried to match the riff complexity to the intensity of the song.

Fender P-Bass
Ampeg SGT-DI
MXR Compressor

8 Likes

Nice job, great tune! Love Chris Cornell’s voice.
Do you always plat a 6-string now?

Great shirt btw

2 Likes

Almost too East for you! Well done @Ek_Bass

1 Like

Great bass @401Blues
Good job here. Love the tone. Keep em coming!

1 Like

Great job 401Blues. Excellent tone.

1 Like