Post your covers! (2023)

Sounds so good Al!

2 Likes

Thanks @Paul_9207 I love the medium speed kinda songs. There are lots to do, lol.

1 Like

I had planned on figuring out how to record today, but got distracted by writing. Will try again tomorrow

3 Likes

So lets say I have a laptop with Windows would it be possible to download something to record on on that @Barney ?
I did a cover ( maybe a couple) a good while ago but couldn’t remove the original bass from it which definitely was a downer.

2 Likes

Hi @Mac it’s Sunday morning here and I’ve just got up. Let me grab a coffee and I’ll make you a quick online guide including pictures on how I remove (for free) the bass line from tracks for my covers. Give me half an hour :metal:

3 Likes

yup…
here’s how…

2 Likes

Here you go @Mac. For removing the bass from the track I want to cover I use a free online website called Moises.ai

You have to create a free account with Moises (i.e. signup) and it gives you 5 free track separations per month. If you’re doing less than 5 covers a month, you’re good.

It works by listening to the track and then using some clever software that’s smarter than me, it separates out the tracks into vocals, drums, bass and other.

So first off create an account and login. It should take you to the library page. Click on the blue Upload button.

Click on the Separate track icon

Then click on this box with the dotted line round it to open up your file directory. I can’t remember how Windows does it, but navigate to where you store your music within Windows File Explorer and select the MP3 file you want to use.

Once you’ve selected your file it should appear in the box in green text. Click on the blue Next button.

It should default to the 4 track box at the top. If not select it and it turns white. Click on the blue Submit button

It should taker you back to the library page. Select the track you want to work with

You have a series of sliders (white dots) that you can can drag to increase or decrease the volume of each track. Start by dragging the bass track down by -10dB. Then have a listen. If it’s removed enough of the bass you can then upload that track as a new mix.

Click on the blue Download button; a drop down menu appears and click Export Mix

Moises will then generate a new track and save it to you wherever Windows saves downloads. You need to rename that file with something like ‘song title minus 10db’. This make it easier later when you’re starting to record as you’ll know which is the original music file and the amended one.

That’s it. You now have a track with the bass removed.

5 Likes

Fantastic job @Al1885
Cory Wong, for me, is one of those guys I really love but don’t listen to, just can’t get into him on a regular listening basis, must be all that jam band stuff.
Love the camera angle, makes it look like you have a 72" scale collection.

2 Likes

@JerryP - aside from your playing, your ability to get a perfect tone for any situation out of any of your basses has gotten crazy good. They need your ear in a recording studio!
Just fantastic man!

2 Likes

That’s so true, it’s the first thing I love about @JerryP covers. You have got great ears. You too @John_E, I can feel the hours behind the scenes in each and every song.

1 Like

Lol, yeah it’s the byproduct of the ultrawide lense on the Q8N, I’m sitting 2 feet away and I’m inside the frame, it’s remarkable. If I use a normal camera I’d get my torso and anything from the 10th fret to the neck pocket, lol.

I like how Cory does all of his recording except for the feature guests that sending files via the interwebs, he records them live. That’s just super awesome, of course I think he fixes a few notes in the post but still a massive task.

1 Like

Thank you very much gentlemen @John_E and @Al1885 ! I really appreciate the kind words.

1 Like

It’s so easy! Get yourself a DAI like this one

https://focusrite.com/en/audio-interface/scarlett/scarlett-solo

Plug it into your computer, open up GarageBand, ableton, reaper, etc. Plug in your bass and start playing! Use Moises.ai to separate your tracks, it’s a breeze!

1 Like

Spent the last few days learning this one. Unfortunately I wasn’t filming when I recorded this as I wasn’t really expecting to get such a good take on my third full play through. Timing just a little off here and there but I thought it was pretty good. This may complete my STP journey for the time being, I am feeling like trying some stuff from genres I don’t usually play or listen to just to change things up. I will say that the bridge in this song is perhaps the most enjoyable few bars of music I have learned so far. It just sounds so cool to me and is so fun to play.

A few notes about this song which you will see in the tabs. First, during the main riff, DeLeo seems to play double notes at random throughout the song. There doesn’t seem to be much of a pattern to it so you kind of just have to feel out when those double notes are played as it’s tough to keep track of while playing. Also, the third time you play through the chorus, every D played on the A string actually sounds to me like D down an octave, except the song is in standard tuning so I don’t see how you could access a lower D other than 10th fret of the E string, but the change in pitch isn’t that significant. What he may be doing here is playing a chord, possibly D & open E, but I couldn’t tell exactly so for the sake of simplicity I transcribed the notes all the same.

Anyway, here’s my cover
Stone Temple Pilots - Sex Type Thing
https://audio.jukehost.co.uk/ZcN0kmCBZVGTkw5Mzj7yVbtNDm0OFEOE

Tabs (sorry, took three screenshots to get this one)

:metal:

4 Likes

Many thanks @Barney and @John_E

1 Like

@Barney you have to let me know where you got that stingray. I have been looking for that colour at long and mcquade but they no longer sell these.

2 Likes

Reverb from I think a place in Florida. It was the short scale version. Played nice but weighed 10 1/2 pounds. So I sold it pretty fast and bought a Fender P Bass.

1 Like

Why not just mute the bass track? Is the idea that doing that makes it too “thin”?

1 Like

Yes you want to remove just enough but not all. If you mute all the bass you might affect some of the other instruments that may be operating in those frequencies.

Sometimes I’ll not use Moises if it’s removing too much of the overall song and EQ it in GarageBand.

Use your ears and play around with it is my advice.

3 Likes

You had me at Elvis @JerryP :slight_smile: That sounded great and not a single fingerprint visible on the Aero!

1 Like