How many hours a day should you practice?

I’ve started the Talking Bass sight reading course and am getting towards the end of volume one. I can relate to the original post. Spent about 8 hours today on it and my brain definitely feels like mush. During the work week I get around two hours in a day, I’m obsessed with sight reading. Thankfully my wife is very understanding.

3 Likes

May I ask a cheap yet effective way that you guys and gals record yourself playing?

1 Like

Congrats. Yes, it is a lot of information to process. But knowledge is addictive in the most beneficial way. Kudos to you.

2 Likes

Depends what you think “cheap” is… i usually use an audio interface and either amplitube or Reaper DAW. If you have an amp with a USB interface built in, you can use that. For acoustic stuff and singing i use a zoom h1n recorder (got it cheap used) or an inexpensive USB mic. If you want free, you can use your phone which does a pretty good job. For multiple musicians you can even use multiple phones and sync the recordings after (use a hand clap).

I think there’s a thread here somewhere that has info on recording yourself.

1 Like

the only thing which annoyed me slightly was that it was too good and I was finished the course before i was done paying for it :joy:

1 Like

perhaps you need one of these…

4 Likes

Well that would definitely be more entertaining than my playing! :grin:

2 Likes

MM I guess cheap is something around 50-70$.
I will check the link, I was wondering because yeah OK my mob is okay to record sound, but I want to see my hands afterwards too.
I used to have a camera, and still have it, but the quality ain’t the best, but I can hear myself and also see my hands. It’s just outdated.

1 Like

@NocturnalPulse watch this excellent video produced by some lovely BassBuzzers and then come back with more specific questions if they’re not answered from the video and all the comments in the tread below the video. Cheers.

3 Likes

Thank you so much.
I swear I can’t use the search function properly idk what is happening to me lately.
I love @PamPurrs and @John_E and I’m honored to absorb the knowledge <3

2 Likes

I haven’t figured out how to use the search function on my iPhone only when I’m in front of my Mac so we’re all struggling with something :smile:
Anyway give it a watch it’s all good stuff.

2 Likes

Click the Search icon and type “recording pampurrs” in the input field.

The self-recording thread will be in the results list.

2 Likes

Yeah I know how to do it.

But it’s not intuitive. If I hold my IPhone in portrait mode. No search icon appears.

If I turn it sideways in landscape it appears.

2 Likes

Interesting. Not sure why that is. This is what I get on my iPhone:

1 Like

Must be the Canadian iPhones.

Nope, the German iPhones have that „feature“, too :wink:

Different iPhones with different resolutions.
For example the iPhone SE has a smaller screen which would look like @Barney 's screenshot.
iPhone XR like yours. There should be enough space for the search icon even on the SE, maybe @JoshFossgreen can do some changes.
(line 3 in theme_3.scss)

I agree, the screen should display a given page’s layout the same across different models of iPhones.

I’m currently building a website for a client of mine, and its pages’ responsiveness display identically across different brands and models of smartphones, including the iPhone SE, or similar.

This is actually a big PITA but as you all just discussed, on some (smaller display) iPhones, Discus omits the search icon in portrait mode, so you have to rotate to landscape to get it. Irritating AF. Bad web design.

Because iPhone SE 4 eva :rofl:

Up early and a big day in work, got back to the office for invoicing, business paperwork etc. Pretty tired and was going to go to bed. But thought ‘No just do 5 minutes bass’.

Because all those 5 minutes add up in the end.

That was 45 minutes ago. So another 45 minutes under my fingers.

As my old rugby coach used to say ‘Nobody cares, work harder’

6 Likes