Fretless Fan Club

YES!!!

2 Likes

The La Bellas are easier to hold down for sure, and I’ve liked them versus the thicker flats that were on the bass when I bought it. I think I can traverse the fretboard faster on the fretless. I don’t need to be as accurate with fingering on the fretted bass but I try to stay consistent on both.

3 Likes

The pool is not as deep as you think, especially for a Jazz. They make wiring harnesses and prewired control plates for Jazz to accommodate solderless installation of pickups if you want to do it yourself and can’t solder.

Changing pickups is a lot easier in reality than it seems.

1 Like

Another good low tension flat is the D’addario ECB 84 iirc

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve missed you too!
Still haven’t setup my lighting. I’m trying to remember which lights go where and can’t find the thread where we discussed it.

1 Like

Watch part 2 of this presentation. Toward the end, you’ll see my greenscreen setup tutorial. I hope that helps.

1 Like

@PamPurrs
I’m home from Rochester and met with two large boxes. One loooooong skinny one and one just big heavy one.

Let the light unpacking / screen put upping begin!

1 Like

Have fun!

1 Like

I have used the Labella LTF’s that @cheeze_pizza uses and they are excellent. Right now both of my fretless bases have TI Jazz Flats. They are fairly expensive but they sound great.

3 Likes

I agree with @John_E synthetic materials like ebonel, Richlite, and the good’ol CA glue finish sounds fantastic. Richlite having the feel to match the pores grain of fretless favorite like Wenge or Bibinga.

It’s the only time tonewood has direct effect on how an instrument sounds.

4 Likes

This is the fretless I have now. I rented it a year ago to see if I’d like it, but then traded it in for the Fender American Pro II fretless (see my first post about it in this thread) but I wasn’t as impressed with the sound compared to this one, so I took it back and now I have this one again :slight_smile: I do want to get an upright double bass or an electric upright at some point. I got to try one at the music store and it was sooo fun. One day :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Here is one of our dogs, Zooey, with my new Squier Classic Vibe '60s Fretless Jazz Bass.
She gives her approval on the D’Addario Flat Wound ECB81 Chromes that I just put on it.
(I find that they feel silky smooth.)

Now, I really feel like I’m part of the Fretless Fan Club.

5 Likes

Ok guys I just realized that I have not post any pictures here. As a Fretless fanboy, it would be a great reference.

Well here we go. Get yourself some popcorn and enjoy, lol.

Squier Vintage modified with EMG X Jazz pickups. Awesome tone and feel with Ebonel fingerboard.

MusicMan Sterling Fretless, Rosewood no lines

Fender Aerodyne with Relentless P pickup and custom Riptide Passive EMG pick up and Preamps. Lined Pau Farro fingerboard

Willcox lightwave Sabre. Optical pickup

Custom Lignum Fretless bass Neckthrogh Ebony fingerboard Custom EMG X series and preamp 18V

Custom built Fender American Precision with Tony Franklin neck and ProtoType EMG X vintage P double J pickup and Preamp 18V. This was the most fun build I had during Covid.

MusicMan BFR Feugo 5 string

IMG_3438
IMG_3441
IMG_3440

Last picture is of Ibanez EUB 804

A couple more Fretless are out on loan right now, lol. I’ll post the pictures when I get them back.

10 Likes

Wow!

1 Like

When the dog bites
When the bee stings
When I’m feeling sad
I simply remember my favorite things
And then I don’t feel so bad……

1 Like

You should never be sad again, or for very long. Music and family. You’ve done some things, right.

2 Likes

I think you need 1 more, just 1.

3 Likes

Have either of you considered simply providing a separate residence for your basses? Sell it to the SO as being “for tax reasons?”

Actually now that I think about it, Al already kind of has :rofl:

1 Like

@Al1885’s mathematical equation:

OPTIMAL_NUMBER_BASSES = CURRENT_ NUMBER_BASSES + 1

2 Likes

It’s classified as a Local Museum so I’m Tax exempt, lol.

3 Likes