What song are you currently/next "working on"?

Ah, don’t worry about all that for covers, even if it’s audio only, just have fun with it :slightly_smiling_face:

I leave a bunch of mistakes in :sweat_smile: I just shake my head and laugh at myself, and look at it like I can keep on seeing progress/improvement later :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Here’s a little secret - we all stare at your fretboard too when you make a cover. To offer tips etc.

You can always crop your head out like some do do.
We don’t bite. Post away! It can only make you a better player

6 Likes

Nice throwback and groovy.

3 Likes

No one here is judgey about covers. We are all learning and trying to help. You will get honest feedback that will help your playing. I stare at my fretboard most of the time as well. Its not a rock concert performance.

6 Likes

I will keep that in mind. I plan on buying a DAI today, and then I have to figure out how to use it lol. Don’t have a DAW yet either. So I still have some learning to do before I can even post. Also, I started learning A Message to You Rudy after I watched your cover, so thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Everything you need is in our very long winded but generally useful course here

5 Likes

Your DAI is likely coming with a download code for a DAW software (often, the lite version, but that should be plenty). Otherwise, Reaper is free to use for a while (but asks you to pay a nominal fee if you continue to use it). Finally, if you have a Mac, you have GarageBand included, which is more than adequate for most users :smile:

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ve been meaning to watch this for awhile now, but haven’t yet since I didn’t have the necessary tools, but I will make a point to do it tonight. I appreciate you both taking the time to put it together for all of us.

1 Like

I only have a Chromebook and I’ve been worried I won’t have enough space to download one, but hopefully it isn’t an issue. I’m planning on buying the Focusrite solo purely because I’ve seen several people on here suggest that one. I’m not sure if it comes with software or not, but I’ll check out Reaper if it doesn’t. Thank you!

3 Likes

I would do a trial version of Reaper.
It is the freindliest for less-powerful PCs.

4 Likes

Scarlett 2 DAI and free Reaper is the way to go. Use Moasis to extract bass track. i demoed a bunch of free DAWs and found Reaper the c most intuitive.

4 Likes

Since I got a 5 string for Christmas I have been working on Mighty Wings by Cheap Trick and RHCP Funky Monks. Both cool songs and a bunch of fun. Also trying to play all the 4 string songs I already know without being on the wrong string.

3 Likes

Moises is what you are referring to?

1 Like

Sorry, https://moises.ai/

2 Likes

Working on a few
This is definitely one of my favorite

I transcribed this song a few months ago and haven’t gone back to play it’s quite intimidating, lol. When I was done I said to myself, now what? :joy:
https://youtu.be/ABeG3Eb80Ik

1 Like

I have four songs ready to record which might show up in the covers thread very soon: Hells Bells by AC/DC, Lovefool by The Cardigans, Renegade by Styx, and I Love Rock and Roll by Joan Jett.

Looking further down the line, I’m starting to learn Moon Over Bourbon Street by Sting.

1 Like

Just thought about this and I really want to do a one day challenge on this song either on bass or guitar, lol. I wonder how many in the world can do that one day challenge.

If I can make a ballad out of it and slow it down 50% after the conversion where each note feel like an 8th note I’d nailed it, lol.

2 Likes

Well, if it was a day on Venus… then perhaps :rofl:

5 Likes

Assigned myself some homework to build on the lessons so far (almost done module 4), working on Hysteria by Def Leppard. A nice straight forward bass line, some string crossing and nice steady rhythm. Played through full song at half speed several times until I reached a high accuracy, then steadily upped the speed. Can play through full song at normal tempo mostly accurate, by the end plucking fingers start to slow from fatigue, nothing more practice and endurance building won’t fix. Almost ready for a low def cover vid (filmed on iPhone :joy:)

3 Likes

It’s settled. This will be my next cover, coming soon to a “Post your covers!” thread near you.

2 Likes