What song are you currently/next "working on"?

Ocean man by ween. This one is beguiling me just a little bit, because the bass in it is just so random. And it’s almost enough to make me skip it, but i think i maybe got it coming together a little bit.

2 Likes

haha, yeah, basically first tab I’ve actually read, mostly feels ok playing it in bits though, just stringing all the bits together that keeps goin wrong :joy:

2 Likes

It is a lot to string together, for sure. I’ve no doubt you will get it. After all, you ARE badass in training, right?

1 Like

Rush, Red Barchetta. It was one of my favorite songs to play back when I used to play 30 years ago. Just started playing again so I figure lets see if I can do it 30 years later. I spent the past month getting my fingers working on the bass again. I am half way through learning it. So far so good. It did seem a lot easier 30 years ago though :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think that Billy Jean pattern is completely misplaced!
Either Josh is trying to keep us humble by throwing our limitations in our faces, or my brain doesn’t work right, cause to me that lick is exponentially harder than anything that comes before or goes after.
It’s a good thing Josh placed it there, though, as it’s turned into the first exercise I play every day.

3 Likes

Ayyy! dude I almost nailed it last night just playin unplugged sat on the couch, from memory, after not being able to fit the new strap locks and just messin around :joy:

5 Likes

‘Sandworms’ by David Matthews. Quite challenging, but really cool in my opinion. Good pinky-training as well.

5 Likes

That’s what it is! Good job, Bruv!

3 Likes

Welcome @Eelke ! Really glad you are here with us. I’ve never listened to much dmb, but i know their stuff can be a challenge, so good luck!

3 Likes

I’ve got Lydia by Highly Suspect down, except for the fact that I keep over or under shooting my slides by one fret half of the time. I’m working on Re-Arranged by Limp Bizkit now. I’ve got all the notes, but there’s a chugging part I can only play correctly at 60% speed, and another part I can only do at 80%. It’s fun to play though.

3 Likes

I do this a lot. I’ve been trying to do this by ear Vs staring at the landing site :upside_down_face:.
It takes time but your ear will guide you.
Keep it up!

3 Likes

I’ve 100% been doing the landing site method, but I still miss it more often than not. I still have a poorly trained ear, but I will start trying this too. I definitely stare at my fretboard for the majority of stuff I play. It’s one of about three reasons I’m hesitant to post my first cover lol.

6 Likes

Ah, don’t worry about all that for covers, even if it’s audio only, just have fun with it :slightly_smiling_face:

I leave a bunch of mistakes in :sweat_smile: I just shake my head and laugh at myself, and look at it like I can keep on seeing progress/improvement later :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Here’s a little secret - we all stare at your fretboard too when you make a cover. To offer tips etc.

You can always crop your head out like some do do.
We don’t bite. Post away! It can only make you a better player

6 Likes

Nice throwback and groovy.

3 Likes

No one here is judgey about covers. We are all learning and trying to help. You will get honest feedback that will help your playing. I stare at my fretboard most of the time as well. Its not a rock concert performance.

6 Likes

I will keep that in mind. I plan on buying a DAI today, and then I have to figure out how to use it lol. Don’t have a DAW yet either. So I still have some learning to do before I can even post. Also, I started learning A Message to You Rudy after I watched your cover, so thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Everything you need is in our very long winded but generally useful course here

5 Likes

Your DAI is likely coming with a download code for a DAW software (often, the lite version, but that should be plenty). Otherwise, Reaper is free to use for a while (but asks you to pay a nominal fee if you continue to use it). Finally, if you have a Mac, you have GarageBand included, which is more than adequate for most users :smile:

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ve been meaning to watch this for awhile now, but haven’t yet since I didn’t have the necessary tools, but I will make a point to do it tonight. I appreciate you both taking the time to put it together for all of us.

1 Like