What song are you currently/next "working on"?

Link updated. Should be good to go now.

1 Like

:+1:

1 Like

Hi,
I’m currently practicing one of my longtime favorites :
Simple Minds - Theme for great cities.

Its a superb bassline, but hard to play in the original bpm.

By the way - the linked YT video was taken by myself earlier this year.

Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/vWR2aL24vc4

2 Likes

I’m also working on this one! Having to take it very very slowly but it’s an undeniable banger

3 Likes

For Whom The Bell Tolls. Am I bad person for using a pick? xD

4 Likes

Yes :joy:

2 Likes

No, i wish i could play more than the first few bars with a pick. It’s the down/up picking motion. I just can’t seem to get it. Sad truth is, i can’t make it sound good with fingers either. These chord strikes here are what i mean

Ive spoken to my music guru on this and he says the open e is downwards followed by upwards for the chord shape. I know most everyone can do this, but it’s a real stumbling block for me.

2 Likes

There’s been a lot of go-gos love around my place lately. Enough that my girl actually recognized what i was playing. She says it’s ok that I’m in love with Belinda Carlisle, because it’s a completely unreachable goal.:joy:

3 Likes

No :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you are having trouble with rapidly fingering the power chords there on all three strings, you can omit the octave (G string 9th fret) and still get the power chord. Or just barre it (hold the D and G string down with the same finger) - this is what I would do.

Strumming is actually a challenging skill to learn properly and guitarists spend considerable time practicing it as beginners. TMOT :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m not ashamed. My picking is Awful. That’s what practice is for. Luckily, i don’t have an audience very often. Mostly just when people need to do laundry.:grin:

5 Likes

Have stepped away from This Charming Man for a bit, pretty much nailed the first few bars which more or less repeats but I am getting tired of it.

This evening I decided to give this one a shot. Main riff isn’t too hard but it is relentless and my fretting hand is currently on fire :rofl:

https://youtu.be/WiLuYZNzNyc

4 Likes

Prelude from Bach’s cello suite in E-flat major, transposed to E major by Hal Leonard

Also, Roxanne. Took up Josh’s BtB challenge to find an online tab of the full song, and found one that’s also a play-along vid at Songsterr. Looking forward to developing the ability of knowing where I am in a fast-paced tune, and then singing along, so I can keep two independent musical tasks going simultaneously.

3 Likes

nice! :ok_hand:
Electric Worry & One Eye Dollar are fun jams too :wink:

2 Likes

Yessir, love Thy clutch.

2 Likes

Now that I’m happy with the bass line I wrote for Goo Goo Muck, I just need repitition to get it ready for recording.

So, started on Cold Shot by SRV and Boom Boom Boom by John Lee Hooker.

4 Likes

So I was talking to my teacher at my lesson, we were going through Cold Shot, and he made a comment on how to resolve a section about not having any other choices with blues, and I said “oh yes you do”.

Now I’m working on Boom Boom too. When I started out, this song seemed beyond me, now it doesn’t look hard. Funny how our vision changes with time

https://youtu.be/wmbCZ00cdRY

Although it’s like 3 songs in one

5 Likes

Working on two Rancid songs: Journey to the End of the East Bay and Time Bomb. Time Bomb really makes me feel like I aint cut out for this bass thing, as you really need to do 1fpf in order to keep it up to speed and by the end of the song I start to miss notes because I just cant stretch so far for so long

5 Likes

working on Billie Jean… :eyes:

yeah, I’m at that point of B2B :rofl:

8 Likes

Keep going, it’s there. I promise you it is. One day ( not so far away as you’d think ), you’ll look back and wonder why it was so hard.

2 Likes