50 First Songs 100 Week Challenge

Would be happy to have you on board. There are a variety of ways to record yourself, such as:

1. Record with your phone camera and audio interface into computer
  2. Record with your phone camera while playing through an amp
  3. Record audio only with audio interface into computer

Video is preferred over audio only though as then you can receive better feedback. For video, you can choose to show your face or not. Whatever you are comfortable with.

If you need any help on getting the recording stuff setup just shout. Once you’ve done it a couple times it is straight-forward.

6 Likes

Thanks JT. Any recommendations for a decent audio interface into the PC. I’m trying to search Amazon but it’s getting confused and showing me all sorts of random stuff. lol

4 Likes

The Focusrite Scarlett interfaces are a quite popular choice (Scarlett Solo being the cheapest with one instrument input and one mic input, all the others have more inputs if you need them), and there is also the Behringer UM2 U-Phoria, which from what I heard is also not bad and is quite inexpensive, but I don’t have any experience with it myself.

I have a Focusrite Scarlett Solo and am quite happy with it.

3 Likes

Focusrite scarlet 2i2 or solo is the easiest and very popular approach.

6 Likes

i use a presonus studio 24c, not expensive and easy to use,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

There are a few threads on here about recording. I was going to include some links, but if you search “record”, a lot show up…

That said, I have a Behringer UM2, and while I have nothing to compare it to, it works for me.

3 Likes

Behringer makes some very affordable, and good quality DAI (Digital Audio Interfaces), and will be under $100.
You can’t go wrong with a Scarlet either, but if you are looking to just spend a little and get what you NEED, the Behringer will do it for you.
I bought a MOUKEY, and it was like $55 on Amazon. This one did not come with any recording software, but I use Garage Band free on my Mac, so I am fine with that. Plus you can download Reaper, which is a popular and quality DAW (desktop audio workshop), and you can get a free trial, and it is only like $60 after the long trial period (I think 3 months, but could be wrong).
I think there is a steeper learning curve for Reaper, but there are plenty here that can help you.
ANd
If you go with a Scarlet, or PRESONUS, or Behringer, each comes with a lot of software, some FREE DAW’s, then loads of samples, and also a few months of a subscription service for additional samples and stuff (none of which I use, I am strictly Garage Band and am fine with it).
I would suggest getting a DAI that covers what you need, and not buy one for the extra bundles of software, many have it, but probably don’t let that be your deciding factor.
If you want to save money, go Behringer, if not, go Scarlett. I doubt your (or I) would ever be able to tell them apart in a controlled test, so you are not really shorting yourself, if you spend less in this case.
That said, Behringer products have been hard to find due to Covid, and it might not be easily available, or sellers might be using the lack of inventory to sell them for 2 to 5x what they retail.
So, shop smart, but you will be able to get something that will work for you.
Ask any questions about what you are thinking about, if you want more info before you pull the trigger.

1 Like

Zoom also makes good DAI.
the base model, U-22 cost around $100, and there are $149 and $199 models as well.
I actually have the U-22, works great, but it a little limited, compared to what you get with the more expensive models, AND compared to Behringer and Scarlett, and others, but the higher models, compete very well with all the others.

1 Like

As you can tell from all the replies, this is a hot subject. Any of the ones people are throwing out will do the trick. There are others too. I’ve had the Focusrite 2i2, the Solid Stage Logic SSL2, and the Audient iD4. My 2i2 was faulty, the SSL2 had the best sound to my ears but I didn’t like the back I/O, and I’m happy with the iD4 (using currently) with the front I/O and ease of use. Honestly though, assuming you are in the same amateur camp as most of us, pretty much any will do. I’d just do some research and if you come up with one that hasn’t been mentioned in these replies then just double-check, but it’s probably fine.

One you have an audio interface, then you’ll need to use a DAW. That might seem daunting, but it really isn’t. You don’t need to play with all the bells and whistles. Just need to record the line-in and drag in the backing track to go along with it. Getting a DAW recommendation will also equally get loads of different recommendations. For Windows, it is a lot less certain, but if you are on a Mac, I’d just use GarageBand (LogicPro isn’t needed).

5 Likes

Agree with @JT here - lots of great choices for both audio interfaces and DAW software.

If you want the absolute best of the lower price tier it’s probably the MOTU M2/M4, Solid State Logic SSL2, or the Audient iD4. These are all solid contenders with units in the lower end of the next price tier up, and are really excellent interfaces.

But that said, there are a ton of other great choices in the same or lower price ranges, and we are really only talking about relatively small sound quality differences here (and even then, mostly for microphones more than basses.) Many of the Presonus, Native Instruments, Focusrite, and other brands in this price tier are effectively just as good, unless you really care a lot about microphone preamp noise, anyway.

I started with a Zoom U-24 as @T_dub was describing, and for bass, it was just fine. And you can’t beat the price of the Behringer - also just fine for recording bass, especially starting out.

4 Likes

I haven’t used a DAW with my scarlett 2i2. I just use BIAS FX2 for my bass sounds and a cable directly into my iphone and the audio/music I’m playing to is synced up. Works much like the iRig does.

3 Likes

I bought it because it was red. I see no fault in my logic.

12 Likes

Same logic applied to all my kitchen appliances. Sound thinking man.

9 Likes

Logic approved!

7 Likes

This this die off? Not seeing the post for Song opening on July 26.

2 Likes

Sorry, I just got a new job and am drowning with work. Completely forgot to add the new song. Added it now.

4 Likes

Thanks! Good luck with the new job!

2 Likes

One post per song would encourage people to try the challenge as they won’t feel like they are too far behind everyone.

2 Likes

Hey @JT (long time no hear) are you still running this? We are due song 13 :slight_smile: If you’re super busy I can post up the topic? Cheers

3 Likes

Personal life has gotten hectic. I’ll probably just create threads for the remaining songs as many have suggested that. The important thing is that we have a thread for each of the “50 First Songs”.

10 Likes