50 Songs for B2B - Upgraded and Digital šŸ¤–

All good! A good question worth answering - as of now, Iā€™m not planning on adding more songs currently, but if I do at some point, Iā€™ll definitely throw up a thread here and take suggestions!

5 Likes

Hello! I recently joined and I couldnā€™t find this info on the website or forum, so I figured I would ask here. In addition to the song difficulty, I was wondering if there was a matrix of modules to songs? E.g. You shouldnā€™t try to play Roxanne until you complete module 6 because of a technique covered in that set of lessons.

Thanks!

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum @mckybob.

I think you answered your own question. IMO itā€™s best to just take the course in order and learn to play the songs in that sequence, rather than hoping ahead onto an advanced song that you might not be ready for. Thatā€™s just my opinion of course.

5 Likes

Hi, Pam! Thanks for the warm welcome and reply. The reason I ask about the matrix is that in Module 3, you learn to play the riff for Sweet Home Alabama, but the song is in Difficult category - which is why I am confused. Thanks!

7 Likes

@mckybobif you think youā€™re confused now? Wait 'til you get to Module 4 Lesson 6 LOL.

(Hint: Itā€™s the most discussed song on this forum)

6 Likes

:rofl: :joy: :rofl:

@mckybob Welcome to BassBuzz!

When you have time, join us on the Introduce Yourself thread.

Learning the full songs isnā€™t intended to be done as youā€™re going through the course. @JoshFossgreen has said that as soon as you can do the easy workout to keep moving forward. There will be a disparity between the portion of a song he uses to reinforce the lesson and what is required for the complete song.

I hope that helps.

10 Likes

Welcome to the community @mckybob! Enjoy the course.

7 Likes

Yeah, I can see why thatā€™s confusing! The reason is along the lines of what @eric.kiser said:

Thereā€™s some way harder stuff elsewhere in the song than the riff we learn in Module 3. So the difficulty ratings in the Song Pack are always based on the full song, which often contains surprises. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Well, @Pete ainā€™t the only one :headphones::rofl:

3 Likes

Bit of a resurrection of the thread, but I just wanted to clarify something. Is it safe to assume these are all in standard (EADG) tuning? I wanted to dig into these, but didnā€™t see tunings mentioned on any of the ones Iā€™ve looked at.

EDIT: Nevermind. Just looked at Another Brick in the Wall and it says at the beginning it is DADG tuningā€¦

6 Likes

Alternate tunings are good for you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You know what? Iā€™ve never done an alternate tuning. I just canā€™t be bothered and I donā€™t want to mess with my mental fretboard mapping. If I feel like learning a song and it is in an alternate tuning, I just move on to another song. I know itā€™s no big deal to do something like a Drop D in particular, but Iā€™ve never wanted to learn a Drop D song enough to care. I mainly just learn other peoples songs to add more tools to my arsenal and there are plenty of standard tuning songs to choose from that provide the content I need. When I write my own songs, alternate tunings donā€™t even cross my mind. I know this may seem lazy or weird to some, but thatā€™s just how I am about this. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I felt that way initially, and then got addicted to the sound of Drop D :slight_smile:

But itā€™s certainly valid to never use them.

6 Likes

Like you caught, there are a handful of alt tunings. Another Brick in the Wall, Come As You Are, Feel Good Inc., maybe a couple others. Always check the notes at the top of the chart.

Itā€™s really not that hard, if you pick an easy one (like Another Brick, thatā€™s a good first drop D tune). Your other three strings stay the same, and you shift your brain around a bit on the D string. But there are only a few notes on that string in the whole song anyway.

+1 this, but alsoā€¦ you miss out on hearing that mighty low D. It sounds so good. And no, the 3rd fret of a B string does NOT sound as good. Open rocks more. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

A great reason to own a 5 string. Leave the tuning on your 4 string be and just switch to the fiver when you want the low D. :smiley_cat:

6 Likes

:slight_smile:

Gotta agree, thereā€™s just something about wailing on that open string D.

3 Likes

Yes! Got that extra rattle going on from the lower tension. Can really dig into it.

4 Likes

I honestly canā€™t see me ever using a 5 string. My short fingers struggle enough getting to the lowest string on a 4-string! My fingers are basically the width of the fretboard.

2 Likes

One interesting and unexpected thing is that it is easier to reach EADG on a 5 than on a 4, due to narrower spacing, and the B string just kind of works out. It might surprise you - my hands are dead average and had no problems with reach on a 5.

3 Likes

Hmmā€¦ Never actually held a 5 string so Iā€™ll give it a go sometime.

3 Likes