Song 1 - "Another Brick in the Wall" by Pink Floyd

Thanks for that, yeah I get the tempo issues looking back on it, I’ll keep trying :slight_smile:

I used the custom backing track from www.karaoke-version.co.uk. I’ve downloaded quite a few up to now and they are all pretty good covers.

Cheers
Matthew

3 Likes

Yeah I have a separate audio and video track, so I try to give myself a cue in the video so I know where to start the sync, I can usually get it quite close, but sometimes its out by a little bit…but as you say I’m aiming to be more Jaco Pastorius than Steven Spielberg haha :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ve been using Open Shot to do my video editing which works pretty well, but I’ll certainly check out Lightworks.

Thanks
Matthew

3 Likes

alright, to get hyped I just ordered a Behringer UMC404 for recording and transcribed Joshs Tabulator to a 5-string i case anyone is interested. I hope that I got everything correct if not, please let me know.

7 Likes

Looks good to me… Good luck!

1 Like

The hardest thing I’m finding about learning the song is knowing when that 7x repeat section ends… I lose count when I’m thinking about what I’m playing. I’m trying to use audio cues, but I’m not always 100% with them either.

Other than that, the hardest thing (so far) has been figuring out how to record my attempt - I have everything hooked up, but am not getting any input in the DAW. I’m sure it’s simple - I’m just not setting something up right… n00b issues… And I haven’t even tried figuring out the video portion yet. :slight_smile:

I’ve enjoyed learning this song though, as it’s up there in my favorite albums and it was one of the songs that I would hear on the radio and think “I really should learn to play that bass that’s been sitting in my basement for 10 years”. And now I can (mostly) play it - not perfectly, but passable. And I’m not even a badass™ yet! :slight_smile:

Looking forward to seeing everyone’s versions!

6 Likes

For remembering the 7x section, I think that will be a challenge for all of us. I’m going to try and count each section in my head, but we’ll see how it goes. I know this song very well as Pink Floyd is one of my favorite bands, so I might just feel it. We’ll have to see. But you are right that keeping track of where you are in a song is one of those challenges of learning a full song as opposed to just a riff in a song. Most songs follow a traditional pattern (with some variances here and there) that makes this easier to do, but then you get others like this one that break that a bit more than average.

While we’re on song construction, I’ve just made a separate thread here to talk about that as it will probably help some people with these challenges.

For the DAW issue. This is hard to diagnose. But when I was first connecting mine, I had to do a few things to get it to work. Firstly, I had to change the input to my DAI as it defaulted to my webcam mic. Then it was trying to blend both channels (mic _ bass in my instance) on my DAI together, so I had to tell it to stop doing that. Then when I made a track there was Guitar/Bass, which seemed the logical choice to me, and Amp. Turns out Guitar/Bass is more for like a MIDI thing and not an actual Guitar/Bass, so Amp was the right one in my DAW. Anyway, there are tons of people around here that are great with DAWs and recording. There are many threads on the topic if you want to add to those or make your own. Or, hop on Discord and have a conversation there about it.

I’m sure you’ll nail this song. Keep it going. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I decided to just have a dry run of the song (close enough to Monday) :slight_smile:

One thing tripped me up because, because I forgot about music notation (embarrassing since I used to play piano and violin…). The first big section repeats once. On the first section you play the bit that says “1.” and then start at the beginning of the tab again, but on the second time around, you skip that “1.” bit and go straight to the bit that says “2.”. See this section below.

Hope that makes sense. The rest just requires practice for me. It’s quite repetitive, so I think everyone will be able to do this one. I’m very familiar with this song, so luckily I can just sense when the end of the guitar solo is coming (so don’t have to count the 7x repeat). If you get familiar with the guitar solo and when it is about to end, that will help you out.

5 Likes

For me the bit around / after the slide is most challenging. I just never know where I am. I guess I really need to count this out and write down some clues from the lyrics.

3 Likes

What’s your take on this tied note? I was expecting to have a note representation after the tie. And the whole rest just adds to the confusion

4 Likes

I’ve been letting it ring for the entire next bar, so 8 beats in total. That sounds right to me, but might not be officially right.

3 Likes

That’s how I interpreted it also. But I’m not sure…

Like this, right?

3 Likes

I checked Songsterr and it does the note for 8 beats too, so I think this is right.

4 Likes

agreed on 8 beats, that sounds like the original

2 Likes

For the 7x section I’d recommend memorizing a portion of the solo that can be a signal for “don’t repeat.” That is far easier to me than counting through 7x, which is also boring :slightly_smiling_face:

The cue I use is the bluesy/funky notes after the super-high notes of the solo, if you listen to the solo I think you’ll know what i mean. When I hear that part I know it means to no longer repeat. I think it’s also something that will just feel more natural the more you play it.

6 Likes

Yeah, I’ve been trying to use the “super high notes of the solo” to indicate that I was in the 6th repetition, so one more to go.

I let it ring until right before the next vocal. I liked the sound of that… I think that representation just means “let it ring” without a specific duration.

You don’t know where you are in the song? On the fretboard?

4 Likes

Yes.

3 Likes

Well, because the rhythm pattern changes (chorus), I get confused where I am in the song. And the slide crossing over the bar and into a dotted quarter note doesn’t exactly help for orientation. But I’ve now listened to the song a few times over and the structure is becoming more and more clear to me.

6 Likes

For those that are struggling to know when the end of the 7th repeat is on the guitar solo, there is actually a signal David Gilmour (the guitarist) does. If you listen closely to the 7th repeat, at the start of the 4th bar (of the 4 bars that get repeated 7 times), he changes from single string plucking to full chord strumming. You should be able to hear that if you listen from 3:06 in the YT video. Here it is with that time stamp. This is the start of the 1st bar of the 7th time through. The start of the 4th bar is around 3:13. Can you hear it? This is what I’ve been using to tell me to move onto the finish of the song. Hope that helps!

5 Likes

“if you don’t eat your meat, you can’t have any pudding.”

“How can you have any pudding if you don’t eat your meat?”

Gotta love those lyrics . . . :wink:

6 Likes

For the non-British, “pudding” is what some people call dessert. Also, the ring tone in the song is the classic British ring tone for a landline phone. I loved this song about 5 years before I moved over to the UK and realized these things. :slight_smile:

6 Likes