5G explained

Okay. I’ll make it very simple.
5G is a fast way of transmitting information.
All the things in the video can be done without 5G.

Just because China watches its own citizens very closely has nothing to do with 5G.

You might be interested to know that the frequencies used in 5G have been used in the UK in experimental radar for the last 80 or so years.

Honestly though, I think that as a 5G conspiracy theorist, like the 4G conspiracy theorists, the 3G, the Wifi, The GSM tower issue people, that you’re always going to be really struggling. So I’m just not going to bother explaining anything else because I’ve spent decades doing this kind of thing. I can understand things for me, but I can’t understand things for you.

Having a “lounge” to discuss things other than bass related topics is a mistake for bassbuzz. It just becomes a place for off topic discussion that inevitably features politics and conspiracy theories.

1 Like

So they don’t use the 5G technology to watch their citizens then?

What gives you the idea that I’m a 5G conspiracy theorist?
Can you point to a post I’ve made that suggests this to you?
As far as I can remember, I’ve just posted a video that outlines what 5G actually is (because I find it quite interesting) but that hardly qualifies me as any sort of conspiracy theorist.

1 Like

You’re a conspiracy theorist because you’re concerned about something which has nothing to do specifically with 5G, yet you seem to think that one video on youtube is a centrally significant source of true information. Trying to explain this kind of thing to people like yourself, who have no background technical information and a low level of scepticism is just a complete waste of time. You’re not capable of doing any actual research because you believe everything you are shown and are incapable of critical thinking. If you had a background in telecommunications or data comms, you’d realise that 5G is just a method of radio frequency data communication.
You don’t seem to realise that all this technology is already happening with 4G speeds and that 5G isn’t a “thing” invented by the Chinese. Other companies like Nokia produce the same type of equipment.
You’re just an out of touch, easily lead, ignorant alarmist who seems to gain some sort of justification to exist by promoting your level of cluelessness in an attempt to somehow stir up the populace.
You are no different to many out there like you, that contribute in no way to the advancement of mankind and detract from the usefulness of the internet.

Just writing a reply to you has made me feel dumber. I won’t bother doing it again. So you’ve won. You’ve out dumbed me.

1 Like

Ooh dear

Are you sure about that?
You come across more of a ‘Mystic Meg’ type character to me.

I agree with this. I can go to any other site on the internet to see people argue about this kind of stuff. To me, this forum is above this type of drama.

A big part of why I play bass is that it is a healthy and therapeutic way to get away from the stress of the world. I fell in love with the community in this forum because it was an extension of that feeling. Threads like this are the start of the end here.

The lounge was well intentioned. I think it was assumed the content would remain as lighthearted and fun as the rest of this forum, but it is a slippery slope. This will lead to divisions, drama, and hurt feelings. If this is the type of content we can expect to start populating the forum, I suggest making it easy to ignore threads and users.

3 Likes

It’s very easy to ignore the complete “Lounge” section.

3 Likes

OK, I will weigh in once.
I will not resort to name-calling, or to citing dubious Youtube clips as reference material for scare-mongering; I trust whoever wants to conduct a productive debate to do the same.

@admacdo has a very good point, which I subscribe to with the wee bit of tech background that I have as a software engineer: Since I’m probably stupider than he is, I can dumb down a bit further is all. :wink:

5G IS A TECHNOLOGY FOR TRANSPORTING DATA.
Just like 4g, 3g, GPRS, Edge… blimey, just like IP.
The video you posted has nothing specifically to do with 5g, and does a horrible, horrible job of explaining what 5g is.
What it does do is use 5g as a scapegoat, and that’s dangerous, because it leads our attention away from the real problem.

They probably do. But it’s not like before 5g, this was not possible. It just took longer, since 5g is, as a modulation technology, a lot quicker.

It’s a bit like saying “ooh, this paparazzi is using a digital camera to shoot photos of naked celebrities with a long telelens. We Must Outlaw Digital Cameras!”

Sorry, but that is, as a statement, quite nonsensical.
If you think we should not have 5g, it would automatically follow that you think we should not have any data transfer technology whatsoever.

Which would mean there would be no IP. no TCP protocols including HTTPS.
And thus, no Internet. And no Bassbuzz.

Does that clear things up for you?

ps: 5G also doesn’t spread the Coronavirus. :wink:

3 Likes

I agree that it is easy to just ignore this type of discussion if you are not interested or it offends you.
We are all adults and if you are offended by other people’s opinions then that is something you are going to struggle with throughout your life. We can’t help you with that.
I am an aggressive supporter of freedom of speech . We need to have these conversations and we need to encourage these conversations. Nobody should be afraid of starting these kind of conversations. Fear breeds ignorance.
There are lots of ideas that I find utterly ridiculous but I will defend people’s right to voice these ideas and others can make up their own minds.

2 Likes

The Lounge is indeed well intentioned, @BassFaceDisgrace . . . :slight_smile:

This particular thread (within it) somehow got off to a rocky start, but it does not necessarily mean that it WILL lead to divisions, drama, etc. only that it COULD if we are not respectful.

Everyone is free to express their opinions, or to participate or not . . . just as in all the other bass-related categories here on Bassbuzz. Disagreement between members is perfectly acceptable, but personal attacks on other members, or name-calling, is not.

If you choose to ignore a member, it is very easy!

You can do so in your settings: click on your avatar, click on “preferences”, click on “users” and then add the user name of the member you wish to ignore.

Cheers, Joe

6 Likes

There are a few sides on this, and they sometimes conflict.

One school of thought adheres to Harlan Ellison’s quote:
“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion.”
That kind of makes sense. If you know jack-shit about something, then shut up and listen to the experts. If I wouldn’t have done that in December 2019, I would now be dead instead of typing this.

The other school of thought says you should be free to say anything you bl00dy well want.
This sounds sympathetic and libertarian, and I’d be hard-pressed to oppose it.

Yet, here we are.
I’m somewhere in the middle, wondering which way to turn. If we follow the anything goes-rule, Alex Wotsisname from Infowars is in the clear, and I wouldn’t want that to happen.
On top of that, just saying anything you want may give a verifiable group of people the wrong idea. If it is ok to state anything you bl00dy well like, including “5G spreads the Coronavirus”, you can count on people setting comms towers alight.
Which has already happened.

One of my mantras is “freedom of speech also means responsibility”, which boils down to “if you willingly spread false or unverified information, or an uninformed opinion, AND it backfires… you will be held accountable, and you will bear responsibility.”

2 Likes

That is fair enough, and I really do hope you are correct. The heart of my point isn’t so much aimed at this thread in particular, I’ve just seen other forums that I used to love go from a kind helpful community to standard internet garbage before, and don’t want to see it happen to this one. I’m not offended by this post, or unable to participate in a civil discussion about controversial matters. I just think that isn’t the way it ever goes on the internet.

Generally people are not looking to have a useful discussion in this setting. They are looking to prove that they are correct and all other opinions are the end of the world.

Music is the topic that can most easily rise above that, because if you know anything about music you know there are very few actual right and wrongs about any of it. It is what sounds good to you, and what helps you make that sound. That being said, even most of the other bass forums I’ve spent any time on have been ruled by rude criticism and trolls. I just think this place has something going right that no other site does, and I see threads like this as the first step to losing it.

5 Likes

Our freedom of speech is being eroded day by day.
And it is affecting the bass world

[quote=“peterhuppertz, post:31, topic:7657, full:true”]
One school of thought adheres to Harlan Ellison’s quote:
“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion.”
That kind of makes sense. If you know jack-shit about something, then shut up and listen to the experts.[/quote]

This is fine if you trust the so called experts. Who defines a person as an expert. Who sets the standard you have to obtain to be called an expert?
Science and scientists cannot be 100% trusted. Science is very expensive and there is a lot of money to be made from science. Somebody is paying for all this expensive science and they are going to expect a return on their investment. If your livelihood depends on your investors making a healthy profit then are you going to produce results that pisses off your investors or are you going to keep them happy?
We need people to question everything. The ones in power really want to shut up the people who want to question everything and so they call them cranks or conspiracy theorist.
Scientists who want to get the truth out there face a very uncertain future or death so most scientists keep their heads firmly below the parapet.
I’m not saying I believe a lot of this stuff but the questions still need to be asked

1 Like

I do not trust the so called experts.
But I am tempted to trust the experts.

The scientific community does.

And yet here we are – we have no alternative.
Who would you rather trust – Andrea Fauci, Donald Trump, Martin Skhreli, or Alex Jones?

Let’s face it: science has brought an end to bloodletting, the Black Plague and smallpox, science has put men on the moon. And science, not the industry, gave us the Internet.

And I assure you that, if you are diagnosed with retroperitoneal fibrosis, you will trust the scientist, and you will happily have him do whatever he thinks is necessary to get you to not die – if only because he has a proven track record of being right.

Luckily, the livelihood of our best scientific minds does not depend on the hand that feeds them. There are plenty examples in science of it standing up against vested political or industrial interests. It’s not coincidence that only 3% of climate scientists argue that global warming is a hoax.

Yes, but you first need to know which questions to ask – and you need a certain level of expertise to judge whether the answer is true and useful.
It requires a scientist to do so.
AND THAT IS EXACTLY HOW SCIENCE IS ORGANISED. You think you found something substantial? Your peers will be the judge.
Science is organised scepsis.

But if you leave it to laymen to ask questions, what you will get is a tv anchor asking Bill Nye if a comet coming close to earth is a consequence of climate change.

When you’re done laughing: this actually happened.

The climate debate, for instance, should make it clear that the word “most” is completely inappropriate here.

2 Likes

Gets my vote for thread of the month by a country mile :+1:

1 Like