90's Epiphone Accu Bass

Hi! I hope everyone is doing well. I’m being offered an Epiphone Accu Bass Jr. (p-Bass, sunburst) in impeccable conditions for USD $150. Any comments/experiences? Thanks in advance!

3 Likes

Interesting. No personal experience myself, but – As the owner of several Gibson guitars and a big fan of theirs, I’m extremely hesitant to say you’re going to get something that sounds amazing from an Epiphone. Nothing against it, but traditionally, they haven’t put a lot of “love” into their basses unless you’re buying an old Grabber or Thunderbird – Epi pickups are typically pretty lackluster. That said, the price seems fine and well under what’s currently available on Reverb. IMO, if you’re looking for a beginner bass, or a solid vintage item, she’s worth a shot – but if you want something really sexy, keep looking around.

5 Likes

I’ve never seen this bass in my life. Only seen the thunderbird & the SG bass clone they have.

4 Likes

I am not a Gibson or Epiphone fan at all, so I may be biased.
$150 is not a terrible amount, so unless it is a total PC of crap, you probably are not making a horrible purchase.
I have one Epiphone here, because it came with a gig bag I bought for $50.
It is the hardest thing in the world to set up and play, but I will say it has some killer tone.
the neck is kind of falling apart on it, but that was why it was so cheap with the gig bag.
I may fix the neck a little and get the best set up on it I can and see if I can get my $50 back for it, because I don’t really have any use for it.

To be fair, that one you are looking at, has a standard bridge on it, not the stupid 2-3 pc designs typical to Gibson Epiphone models, so it may not be that hard to set up and / or play

It looks kind of weird being a P with that shape headstock and those tuners, but that is copyright protection at its best.

3 Likes

Hi! Thanks for the comment. It’s really much more about it being almost 30 years old and being in such good condition that I’m tempted. And I’m a beginner although I have a good bass. Temptations… Take care!

3 Likes

Found little info on it other than http://www.epiphonewiki.org/index/Accu_Bass.php
but it seems to be a nice vintage bass in it’s own category.

3 Likes

Yeah, you can always put in new pickups if they don’t sound amazing.

3 Likes

Thanks for your effort, T-dub. I think it would make a nice contrast to my G&L since it has two humbuckers. I’m no pro. It would be just fun. Perhaps I get a chance to try it out before deciding. Take care. (http://www.epiphonewiki.org/index/Accu_Bass.php)

3 Likes

That is true. I guess a body and neck that old and in good condition are still going to be better and more interesting than a new Squier Affinity or similar for half the price. A set of flats to start out…

4 Likes