A change of heroes?

I’m sure many have gone through this and also spoken about often but I wanted to share how much my perspective has changed as a result of going through this course.

What I appreciate a lot from the B2B course is how many reps you naturally get from just working through the lessons.

Something I hadn’t expected (maybe naively) was how much my approach to bass would change.

When I started the course, my goal was to be able to jam with others and play new songs with some degree of aptitude. I noticed though, that with the sprinkling of music theory and musicality, I’ve found myself wondering about the “why” more than the “how”.

Guys like Tim Commerford and Flea were some of my earliest bass heroes. And now I’m going down the Jameson hole, making a left into Sting-town, and now planning a short visit to McCartney-Ville.

I feel like I’m REALLY listening to the bass now.

12 Likes

Reminded me of this (Warning: jazz!!) - note the title of the tune:

3 Likes

Jazz is OK! lol

4 Likes

Really great choices. :+1:

The tie that binds these three greats are the musical choices they make in constructing truly fine bass lines.

As Lee Sklar, Ron Carter and other such master bass players have proved time and time again, it’s not how complex or how many notes one can squeeze into a line, it’s how tastefully and appropriately a line can ultimately serve the tune.

6 Likes

Way cool, @joergkutter! I’m adding it to the For the Love of Jazz thread. :clap:

2 Likes

Exactly @MikeC

What I’m noticing (feeling?) more of now is what a bassist is doing for the song, whether that’s playing less or adding a fill, I’m a lot more curious now about how it all fits together.

3 Likes

Mine has always been davie504 and lowend lobster :rofl:

2 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

You have admired Lobster’s funky minor pentatonic gymnastics. :guitar: :person_cartwheeling:

2 Likes

Those guys are GOATS for sure!

2 Likes

After A LOT of digging and inspiration, I think I finally have my first bass hero:

PHIL LYNOTT!

I’ve been listening to a playlist I made of my favourite Thin Lizzy songs (hadn’t really listened to much of them before) for the past 72 hours and I’m obsessed!!