A confession about my amp, and a plea for recommendations

BT,
the Fender Rumble would be my choice as well. For practicing. the 40 works well. If you want to use it in small venue’s the 100 works great. Me I’m partial to the 200. Not because of size, but because she has a 15" driver. The Rumble’s sound great! The 500 has 4 10 inchers and the 100 has 2 12’s. But I’m on a bass and I’ve always been partial to a 15. Just my personal bias I guess.

3 Likes

4 SWR’s posted on Offer Up by me right now, all under $200, closer to $100

Workingman15 - $185. (15" speaker)
Workingman15 - $115
Workingman 12 - $70 (12" - I don’t have this size, and at this price, I am tempted to get it, he selling due to moving, and has priced to sell, it looks brand new, what a steal)
Workingman 10C - (10" add on speaker cab - 8ohms) perfect companion to the Workingman 12, or 15. will increase watts, and add a 10" punch to the mix, help you punch thru.

I am not a 15" bass speaker fan. I prefer the punch of 10", especially if you are using it as a small room practice amp. 12" is a little betterr, but 10" is crisp and clean. 15", especially if you are playing on the low side of the dial, are muddy and don’t hold togegher as well IMHO. If I were to have no amp right now, I would and had a $300 budget, I would buy that 2nd Workingman 15, the Workingman 12, and the workingman 10c add on speaker, and still be able to buy lunch with the change. and if you offer $100 for the 15, and $80 for the 10C, (but pay the $70 for the 12, it is already way undervalued) you can take the lady out to a nice Valentine day meal with the change.

I do realize, this is my area, So Cal, Orange County, and I know not all areas have this many options, so it might not be something available to you, but I would at least look around in your area and try one if you can, and test it up to the others you are looking at.
Offer Up app, or Craigs List, or whatever classifieds you have. Reverb tends to sell these amps for what they are worth, or more, plus shipping. only if you live in the area and can do a local pick up, is there a chance to find a reasonable price.
But again, it is still worth a look.

1 Like

Thanks! Not in the area but I will check mine.

1 Like

Yeah, IK, if you were, I would have posted the links.

Where do you live?

1 Like

Minnesota, not the most active market for musical equipment as far as the online marketplaces go.

3 Likes

Surprising, given Minneapolis is such a musical hotspot, especially for indie :slight_smile:

3 Likes

For $300 you could end up with a great Amp. I’d look for a Rumble - but shoot for used and either get more bang for your buck or save money to get something else you might need. I love my Rumble 40!

4 Likes

the history of rock and roll is pretty much built on people pushing crappy amps wayyy beyond their limits :+1:

6 Likes

As what you are doing in music changes, so do your gear needs. It’s hard to say if you should purchase as you grow, or purchase something you grow into. You could buy a 500+ watt amp and a 410 cab, and that could be pretty much all you need until it breaks. Thing is as you learn, as you do different things in music, you also discover yourself. So the tone of an Ampeg SVT might not be your thing. You might like a brighter punchier tone like a GK. Or a thuddy warm tone of an Aguilar. Maybe the versatility and SICK distortion of a Darkglass. You might want different ones for different situations…so it is tough to say. As a starter practice amp it doesn’t matter much, but the amp after that…I’d actually be much more careful and do WAY more research before buying anything.

3 Likes

I recently got a Cort CM150B for 250 euro (280-ish USD), coming from an Eden EC8.

I get no distortion when cranking it up (and it goes LOUD) and am very happy with the tone, EQ options and goodies (XLR out, headphone out, aux in). There’s a raving review on youtube as well.

4 Likes