A different type of GAS

After my early birthday prescient last week I’ve been playing the life out of my P bass and enjoying every second.
Gone are the Fender round wound strings as supplied when new and a set of GHS flat wounds now sit on her nicely improving the feel immensely. I’ve also ordered a white pearl pick guard because it was shiny lol and of course some strap locks as the strap ( also purchased to match the tide pool body ) has detached itself a couple of times as I’ve stood up !
BUT now I’m looking at EMG pickups! Is there something wrong with me ?!

5 Likes

What Straplocks did you get?
These would fit your P bass nicely.

I put these on all my basses, My Stingray’s especially.

I like these a lot, they are easy to attach and remove, and they do the trick very nicely.

I know many like the Schaller or the Schaller copy’s, but I like the added style of these, even tho it is a slightly different design.

2 Likes

I got the chrome Ernie Ball ones as I have the black version on my Ibby :+1:
Been seriously thinking about getting the Geezer Butler signature pickups . You only live once and they aren’t too pricey. Look like another option might be the EMG P HZ’s with the pot and wiring kit :thinking:

4 Likes

Which are the Geezer Butler pick ups.

Speaking of good ole Geezer, I almost blew the bank and got the Geezer Butler Crybaby Bass Wah Pedal.
I ended up with the Mini Bass Crybaby since somebody on offer up that I had dealt with before was selling the Mini Crybaby for $60, and the Geezer Crybaby is $169

The Q on that pedal is factory set the way Geezer uses it, but you can get under the pedal and adjust it if you want to

2 Likes

The Mini Bass Crybaby has a Volume and Q control dial on the outside of the pedal for easy adjustments.

2 Likes

These are the Geezer ones .
And I may have that pedal in my watch list too :joy:

4 Likes

I like grolsch :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Like the beer? Is that still a beer?
What do they look like?

2 Likes
3 Likes

Fender do something identical but I like the ones I’ve ordered because they are shiny :joy:

2 Likes

I use silicon grolsch type washers on all my basses. Simple, cheap, works. A million years ago I bought strap locks for my Ricky and stripped out the top strap screw. Never trusted them again.

3 Likes

The Stingray 34 I bought for a steal, great bass, but the strap anchors, whatever you call them were loose. I put in the Ernie Ball strap look anchors, and they were worse, really stripped out. I was a little worried, so I took it to the guitar tech / luthier at the local music/pawn shop, and he fixed it in 5 minutes with a chopstik, and he used a chopstick because he didn’t have any toothpick.
It was so easy I felt stupid that I couldn’t fix it.
So the stripped hole is not a big deal at all and very easy to fix as tho it was never stripped, so I am not worried about it.
However, I did buy the Ernie Ball ones at first, because som of the others I was looking at, when I read the instructions, they wanted me to drill a larger pilot hole down the center of the existing hole to use their screw. That didn’t sound good to me for the same reason you were mentioning, because if you ever wanted to put the original ones back on you would be screwed.
However
Now that I know how to fix that, I still wouldn’t buy ones that I had to drill a pilot hole to use.

I have seen that strap trick before, and yes, it is simple and works very well.
But, since I am a Stingray fanboy, the Ernie Ball suite me just fine.

2 Likes

I do want to know what Ibanez that is and what custom pick up job he had done, or replacement.

I also am really curious as to what the other shines blue bass is that he plays in most of his lesson videos.

2 Likes