A funny thing happened on the way through the X-mas book

Another “musical click” moment: I got a couple of those basic Hal Leonard Christmas melody books. As I am playing through, I found myself (not consciously) changing up the rhythm a bit; using the chord notes to add in some bass to the melody or do a walk up/down on certain pieces. My wife was listening and said “Ohhh…i like all of your embellishments.” I stopped. Total mind-blowing moment—I am so used to reading just the notes and playing only the notes and always thought the chord indicators where for piano or something. Now, I am seeing the sheet music like a skeleton with an outline of things to can add to it.

13 Likes

Welcome to the world of improv :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Good for you @Old_WannaBe

Christmas music seems to be a very good “gateway” for this. Easy Melodie’s that can almost “lead” you to your own embellishments.

You are learning well young padawan. Continue to use The Force in your playing.

6 Likes

I’ve been doing that with some of the Christmas songs on Yousician, it’s nice for a bit of a change to just improvise something and it’s fun/satisfying and pretty easy on songs that you’re familiar with. I’m also working on a Jazz course so it fits in well with that too.

It’s actually pretty amusing when i think about it that i either prefer to read tab or improvise over a chord progression… probably because i don’t have a middle “speed” in anything i do in life :smiley:

2 Likes