A good headphone amp?

What they showed in the video is that the bluetooth connection is for sending signals for the Nux to adjust parameters (like which cab sound to use or adjusting the metronome) and for sending music to the Nux.

The Bass signal goes into the Nux, is processed, and goes to the wired headphone out. As far as I could tell, neither the bass signal or the headphone signal gets sent across bluetooth.

If bluetooth communication was going the other way and they were trying to send the bass or headphone signal over bluetooth I wouldn’t have given this thing a second glance.

2 Likes

Ahh, ok, bad assumption on my part - I saw it was BT and assumed it was using BT audio out.

1 Like

Of course. I’m still analyzing every option you all put on the table. It will take some time lol. I’ll bring a review of whatever I end up getting, so stay in tune!

3 Likes

I have a business trip coming up next week so I broke down and ordered the NUX headphone amp to take with me. It’s supposed to arrive on Friday and I’ll try to have a review of it when I return.

4 Likes

@JerryP are you back from your business trip yet? I’m looking forward to that review.

3 Likes

My NUX Is arriving tomorrow!

3 Likes

Not back from my trip until Sunday. I have been using the NUX. It took a little bit of effort to get the Bluetooth connected but so far I like it. More when I return.

4 Likes

Cool, can’t wait for a review. Not because I want or need a headphone amp at all, but because I want to know what your thoughts are about the brand NUX (New-X). I see a lot of cool looking pedals for really god prices, but I have not taken the plunge to just order one and test it myself. Maybe I will with the next round of Pedals I get from Amazon, but anyway, bla bla bla

I do want to hear what you guys think of the quality of the product and the brand NU X

2 Likes

I just scored a used Digitech RP-150 multi-effects pedal on eBay for $30. It has left and right out, USB out and headphone out. This is going to be my interface for connecting to my video camera and also going to be my headphone amp when I travel. And unlike a lot of pedals with a built-in headphone jack, the other outputs are not turned off when you plug in the headphones.

4 Likes

Nice snag! $30 is worth it just for the audio interface alone.

3 Likes

Yeah, I had one of those. I sold it after getting the Zoom, cuz it was redundant at that point, but it is great for the Aux in and headphone amp for sure. Well worth the $30. I sold mine for $45

1 Like

So my initial response is definitely positive. I’m still kind of figuring it out but it definitely does what I wanted It to do. I was looking for something where I could get my bass playing and music, beats, joshes lessons, etc. to come out of one speaker. So the Bluetooth To this really works perfectly and when I play along it sounds Like it’s all coming from one source. I don’t love the bass presets. It seems like it’s simple enough to take things like the reverb off what they call the “pop” Setting but I’m still figuring that out and some of the options aren’t even things I understand. So overall the product seems solid and works like it’s supposed to.

5 Likes

oops, thought you were talking about the one @Korrigan just got.
This sounds good so far, glad it is working for you

1 Like

Eric,
I’m back I had more time to play with the NUX amp. I’ll have to give it two and half stars. It has less “hissing” (white noise I’ll call it) than the VOX amp and the Bluetooth audio works fine as long as you keep the app that they recommend you get for you phone to control the features closed. If you use it with the app open, I was getting drop outs in the audio. I have no use for the “ROCK” and “PUNK” channels that come with the app (not my taste). I know I said in an earlier post that I liked it, I don’t really love it. Other than the Bluetooth capability, I don’t think it’s worth over twice the price that the VOX goes for. I hope you @doylecb enjoy it better than I.
I hope this was a useful review, I really don’t review things well. If you have a question or want me to try something for you, let me know.

5 Likes

This amp with the Rock and Punk channels.
Are you saying you need to use this app to connect, and then they play music you select FROM the channel to use as your backing tracks? Or are the PUNK and ROCK like preset effects for the amp?
If it only is channels for music, is this the only function of the App, to play music, or does it control any settings.

2 Likes

There are presets for tone. You can adjust them however. It is possible he’s talking about something else because there is no preset called “punk”. My experience so far with the Bluetooth has been that as long as you’re only using two connections it works great. So in other words the app counts as one and if I want to stream lessons from my iPad at the same time it works. If I want to then switch and play along with the song from Spotify or anywhere else on my phone I have to turn off the Bluetooth on my iPad so it will connect to the Bluetooth on my phone.

3 Likes

Sorry my mistake, the preset is FUNK.

3 Likes

Yes! I Aagree The presets are lame but I essentially just turn everything off on any of them and get a clean tone

2 Likes

So in the end does this thing have any real advantages over the Vox? The most important quality of it would be clean sound quality. The Vox is decent in that regard. The drum machine on the Vox is cute but secondary. If the sound quality is as good and the bluetooth in works well for audio then this seems like it could be a contender.

2 Likes

Sound quality is good, and the Bluetooth feature has the advantage over VOX. I would agree that it has its place.

4 Likes