A good headphone amp?

If the BT audio in works well it’s actually a huge advantage because it avoids any grounding issues with the aux in cable and the computer.

Sounds like a winner!

2 Likes

I have never used the vox but the sound quality on tthe NUX is decent and without the Bluetooth I would almost have no use for this because I want something to play along with.

Thank you @JerryP and @doylecb for the reviews.

3 Likes

So, I got me one of these. My first ever “pedal”. Excellent sound quality on the cab sims. Very useful for apartment practice, which is mandatory in places like Hong Kong.

Now all I need is a new pair of headphones… :upside_down_face:

7 Likes

Nice, congrats, I hear that is one cool device.

2 Likes

Those are very tempting for me. Did it come with a Darkglass pick and sticker like their pedals do? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes it did. I may have already lost the pick though!

3 Likes

Hah, awesome. Not the losing part I mean, that they even include it with the headphone amp :slight_smile:

It’s actually a decent pick!

2 Likes

OK, I have an update on the NUX headphone amp. I’ve been using it on my current trip here in San Diego and it works very well. For overall practicing, I plug the headphones into the NUX and turn on the Bluetooth, startup Audacity or Transcribe! for playback and it works great! The second way I use it is I plug in the USB cable, the 'phones into the laptop, startup GarageBand and record a track with the playback so I can analyze my playing. Works great for that. I still find the presets in it useless, so I use GB to try to get the tone I’m looking for. Can’t seem to find the right one, but I think that has to do with the Traveler Bass I have. I don’t have access to all my equipment since I’m on travel. I might post a quick cover using what I have with me when I get some time. (I’m supposed to be working.) :grimacing:
I hope this helps.

4 Likes

Hi everyone, new around here and to bass. I’ve been trying to figure out my home practice setup and came across this NUX Mighty Plug the other day and it looks ideal for me (simple but still gives some options, no tether to phone/pc to stream audio) but I have one major issue before I order it - every single video on this thing was made by guitar players!

Could anyone who owns this (@JerryP and anyone else?) let me know what kind of sounds the bass presets allow you come up with? As someone new, the names of the various effects/amps/“IR’s” on the app don’t really explain what the resulting sound will be like. Can you get good clean tones? How’s the background “hiss” that sometimes accompanies these amplug-style devices? Is it possible to get a heavier/overdriven style sound as well?

3 Likes

Welcome to the community @Substr!
All I can tell you so far about the NUX Mighty Plug is that I don’t really use any of the effects that come with the unit. I have it primarily for practicing when I’m on the road. I will tell you that the background “hiss” is much, much lower that the VOX Headphone Amp (that I also have) and the convenience of not being attached to the playback device is liberating.
That being said, I will take some time this weekend and try all the features that are available with the app and let you know what I find. Sorry I can’t be more of a help right now, but I’ll try this weekend.

2 Likes

That’s no problem, I’d really appreciate you taking a look. I’m likely not going to use many of the effects at first or even understand what they all mean, mostly I’d just want to know if I could get 1) a nice enough clean tone and 2) a heavier overdriven/distorted sound, and those would probably do me just fine with any extra effects as a bonus.

There just doesn’t seem to be any sound samples online anywhere from the bass side, and though I did look at the app, the names of the settings don’t make much sense to me yet :slight_smile: I did also wonder if you can play the bass using the “guitar presets” to get some extra options.

I thought about other options like a practice amp+cheap OD pedal+headphones, but something compact and with wireless audio playback like this NUX seems exactly what I need.

3 Likes

I’ll check it out and let you know.
:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I have a nux, have used it but don’t have a good evaluation yet. Seems to be equal or better than the Vox. The zoom b1four is a great option too. That is something you can use a very long time. I have one of those too but haven’t gotten around to trying it (newbie gear acquisition syndrome lol). If you get a b1four I don’t think the expression pedal is needed.

3 Likes

Welcome @Ben

2 Likes

I actually briefly tested out that Zoom B1Four as well. It seemed like a really nice device, but it was a little too much for me when it came to all the customisation, and also left me a bit too restricted with all the cables everywhere (PC->Zoom, Bass->Zoom, Zoom->Headphones) so being able to use bluetooth for the audio streaming and headphones into the NUX is sounding way more appealing to me.

Regarding the NUX, do you know if distorted/overdriven (what’s the difference between those terms anyway?) sounds are possible on the bass settings?

2 Likes

So far with the zoom I’ve only run through it “clean”, no efx. I’m a newb so I am pretty much staying focused on the lessons, practice, and occasionally doing a play along tune. Distortion and Compression I don’t really know or concern myself with. You’d be fine with the NuX. Buy it where you can return it, try it out :smiley:

1 Like

OK, here’s what I experienced with the NUX Mighty Plug:
I only have one bass with me on the road so I wish I could have tested with different basses. For the pure functionality of a headphone amp, it works great. I had to turn down the volume on my bass to about 25% because anything higher than that would cause clipping. The Bluetooth connection for playback is liberating since you can walk around the room while playing and not be tethered to your playback device.
You will need to download the app to be able to use all the features fo the device. The app has three channels, POP, ROCK and FUNK. Each channel has what I assume to be “pedals” (you pedal experts help me out here). They are GATE, EFX, AMP, IR, MOD and REVERB. Through your Bluetooth connection you can adjust the settings of each of the pedals. The app is designed for both Guitar and Bass and I tried the Guitar setting and it filtered everything but the G string.
There is a drum loop setting that has eleven loops, including Metronome. The other ten are the more popular choices (Pop, Metal, Rock, etc.) all with tempo and volume adjustments.
There is a jam track section with generic backing tracks and artists track, the artists of which I have no idea who they are. Maybe you youngsters know them.
It has a USB connection that you can use for charging and as a DAI. I tried to use the DAI but I’ll stay with my Scarlett 2i2. To me it’s just ‘meh’ and I’ll use it on the road to experiment but for my covers, nope.
Once charged, the battery lasts a fairly long time and the app and the device let you know when the battery is getting low.
If anyone can add any more to this, please do. I don’t think I’m a great “reviewer”, so if you have any questions, please ask.

6 Likes

Great Review, thanks for the detailed info after spending some time with it.
Gate - Noise Gate, silence any hissing
EFX - GEQ maybe?
Amp - Amp Sim?
IR - Cab Sim?
Mod - Chorus or Phaser or Flanger maybe?

Other then the Gate, just guesses. EFX could maybe be distortion or fuzz instead of EQ, but I can’t say without playing with it.

That is all pretty decent for a little headphone amp.
I mean, it is no DarkGlass, and it is not the Boss or Ashdown or ?? a few others that make little headphone pre-amp / amps. But it seems to be built to be a lower cost alternative to get you some of the features those others are offering.

2 Likes

I gotta disagree. That was a pretty damn good review.

These terns get confused and twisted all the time. Even by some manufacturers.
In simplest terms, going from least distortion to most distortion it would be…

• Overdrive - least distortion
  • Distortion - middle distortion
  • Fuzz - most distortion
2 Likes