A little music related fun

It’s fun to say that but I tend to disagree on that one :wink:
Because that’s only true when the bass is some sort of noise that fills the low end of the spectrum.
If you can hear distinct notes there are wrong ones - except if you play Jazz.

Just to be clear: I’m kidding about Jazz. Not that it’s my favorite genre but I think a good Jazz musician is a good musician and not someone who plays whatever.

4 Likes

the hardest point for a jazz musician is to look very serious and to pretend and act as if he/she knows exactly what he/she is playing and as if every note is played on purpose. that’s the main difference between someone who plays any note randomly, and someone who plays jazz on the chromatic scale.

6 Likes

Agreed. They also have to remember to say they are playing in Dorian and not just Minor, whether or not they ever actually play the sixth.

3 Likes

About that jazz thing: I think good (jazz) musicians know exactly what they are doing, and thus might be playing “wrong” notes for effect. There is a concept called “playing outside” in soloing where the soloists leaves the “standard” harmonic environment for a while. The key point is, again, that it is done deliberately, and that they know how to come back into the standard harmonic environment later.

Another example to show just how much some people are acutely aware of what they are doing can be found in the description to this video (you will have to open the video in YT to read the descriptions!). You don’t even have to listen to it, but I would still encourage you to do it…:

(Sorry, probably no longer adequate contents for this thread, but I felt I had to come with some counterpoints here :smile: And, yes, @peterhuppertz, my horse’s name is Rocinante :wink:)
9 Likes

I know @joergkutter and I agree, it was just a joke, and for a change it was on a perfectly appropriate thread :v::laughing:

7 Likes

So do you guys know “what you call a beautiful girl in the arms of a basist” ?

• A tattoo :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
7 Likes

Love it!!!
Not just cuz it’s me either. :wink:

Good one

4 Likes

Good one!
Didn’t expect original content in this thread apart from comments with puns.

5 Likes

I wonder how many of the younger folks get this.

FB_IMG_1593897271340

12 Likes

Either I can’t get this or I’m just stumped and missing something obvious.

3 Likes

I bet @Lanny gets it.

5 Likes

I got it. One of my favorite karaoke songs to sing.

6 Likes

Had to look it up, but I’ve heard the song before :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Good ‘ol Roger Miller… King of the Road…

9 Likes

@Lanny you revealed! Lol

4 Likes

Well at least I know that I didn’t really have a chance.
For me it wasn’t but maybe the reveal was a bit early overall :wink:

I am still really interested in every music style that just uses guitar (or another stringed instrument) and singing for creative input for my bard in DnD so getting to listen to this song is a really nice addition. So far I mostly had Bob Dylan and Joint Venture. (yes I know that there are more out there. Those were just the artists on the top of my head that would fit the general style/equipment)

4 Likes

Ooohhh… Sorry @PamPurrs​:face_with_hand_over_mouth:. Did’t mean to throw a turd in the punchbowl… Speaking of punchbowls, it’s cocktail hour here in Middle Georgia - time for my afternoon Single-Malt and bowl of pretzels​:tumbler_glass::pretzel:

5 Likes

It’s all in fun. Enjoy!

5 Likes

King of the road?

4 Likes

Definitely before my time, but I listened to oldies with my parents when I was a boy.

4 Likes