:joy:

1 Like

6 Likes

And he couldn’t get out.

3 Likes

4 Likes

A bit pervy throughout

3 Likes

This is one of the single best performances (the whole concert) in ages. Absolutely amazing. I took a couple online lessons from him.

2 Likes

dude is amazing. next level shit.

1 Like

hard to believe that this guy went from being a guy playing in the subway on youtube to albert hall in such a short time. he’s a great player and entertaining as hell.

3 Likes

326116014_945439036621932_6419478317448755476_n

9 Likes

And he still plays in the subway.
Just did 3 shows over the holidays. Announces them on Instagram a day before etc
In the summer he does pop-up shows in Central Park too.

1 Like

If you like dudes killing it on the saxophone (and I guess you do), then I am almost sure you know James Carter, who can coax just about any sound out of a sax. Here is a solo that is really “ridiculous”, so it kinda fits the thread :grin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5yHvIpTTYQ

(Still, I might be even more in awe of the guy who transcribed this :scream: :rofl:)

5 Likes

…ok I give up, how do you polyphonically on a sax? It looks like some of the octaves might be harmonics?

3 Likes

Yes, it’s called “overblowing” and you can get the overtones (harmonics) along with the base tone. It is easier on some of the fingerings than on others. It’s been a while since I tried a bit - John might know more. I think what I often did was finger the low Bb and overblow to get mostly an F out of it. Of course, this dude has them down everywhere.

I think he also adds humming/growling sometimes for a polyphonic vibe. James Carter is a monster on the sax!

3 Likes

I love his album, layin in the cut. :+1:

2 Likes

Yes to this.
It’s a fun exercise everyone in my house and every surrounding house hates that I do daily. If you do it right, you get some of both octaves or and octave and a 5th etc. generally, you do this by mistake until you start meaning to do it. It’s not easy stuff.

6 Likes
1 Like

Just another day at the Fripp’s.

2 Likes

It’s quite amazing… I would have never thought this side of Robert Fripp existed.

He had always come across to me as a “don’t fuck with my music” kinda guy who has this life-long artistic concept of “music” that mere mortals are never able to grasp fully, but that he graciously dishes out in small manageable junks (aka King Crimson tunes) for us less intellectually gifted :rofl:

3 Likes

I know. Like you expect there to be a plot twist there and learn he isn’t using an amp, that’s just a sound he gets from the bare strings.

3 Likes

8 Likes