A little music related fun

Any Foo Fighters + “fill in the blank” clip is amazing. What’s cool about this one though is Rick is nothing like I’d expect him to be.

3 Likes

There’s two cool things. First, Astley, yeah.

Second, Grohl set this up because to his shock, when working on a tongue-in-cheek cover of it, he realized that “Never Gonna Give You Up” has exactly the same song structure and a similar chord progression to “Smells Like Teen Spirit.”

4 Likes

I really never liked the song, and I read the same article on it lol

1 Like

Did anyone really like “Never Gonna Give You Up?”

We used to make fun of it in the '80s. The epitome of cheese pop.

4 Likes

I’m going to take a wild guess and say erm, teenage girls in the 80’s? Somebody bought that No 1 single.

4 Likes

Well yes. It was a pop hit for sure. I was being more sarcastic than anything there.

We used to relentlessly mock it. It was a punch line even back then.

The backstory to the clip:

4 Likes

Sorry @howard i thought I’d replied :flushed:
I remember Ricks single first time around and yes, I mercilessly slagged it.
Then I watched something with him in it and realised that he doesn’t take himself at all seriously. Certainly changed my opinion of him

4 Likes

I once read an interview with Rick Astley, who turns out to be a really cool guy. When asked about Rick-Rolling, he thought it was hilarious and also pointed out that the renewed popularity put both his kids through college and bought him a very nice house. Can’t argue with that.

7 Likes

What you might not know @howard is that Rick Astley plays bass and collects basses.
https://www.thisworldthesedays.com/rick-astley---why-i-love-bass-guitar2.html

5 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

You’re a very funny man, funny man.

2 Likes

That was well played :slight_smile:

cool Astley anecdotes

Yeah he’s clearly a really cool guy with a great sense of humor about himself. And good for him for milking this for all he can :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m glad Rick is the guy famous for a meh song that won’t go away.

4 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRDKlQx_Pm0

5 Likes

Cool, very Post-Modern Jukebox.

A good song is a good song, period.

3 Likes

Yeah I actually assumed it was PMJ at first.

2 Likes

PMJ does some great stuff (the guy that leads it is super creative) but Hailey Reinhart’s voice seems never better than when she does stuff with them.

It’s really too bad (even pre Covid) that more old school dinner/music clubs aren’t a thing like they were, such a cool vibe.

3 Likes

Tokyo has a Blue Note, definitely a cool experience, only been once.

2 Likes

Enjoyable for sure. The whole time I was focused on that bass player and trying to picture that dainty lady hauling that double bass around. LOL.
This is definitely a first rate band.

1 Like

I’m trying to think of a way to work that into the Marvel Universe movies, in some plot for the “Iron Man” character (if it hasn’t been used already). I have seen some of those flicks, but not all, due to living with three sons.

My other memory, of the Black Sabbath version, was as a teen or young adult, still living at home. One sister in another bedroom played Black Sabbath, Leon Russell, Jackson Browne, and others, loudly and often. Thus were they introduced to me and imprinted in my brain.

I do like this version of Iron Man by Robyn Adele Anderson and band - very nice!

2 Likes