A question for 5 string bassists

As the wood has been sealed and the fretboard leveled/ dressed it should be a fairly rapid build

5 Likes

Beautiful!

3 Likes

Thank you @PamPurrs

In between doing the B2B second time around I just couldn’t resist starting “ Blondie “ as I’ve named her lol :joy:
I’ve sanded the body and neck as it was a little too rough for my liking and begun applying coats of shellac to keep the natural colour of the wood but hopefully accentuate the grain :pray:t2:.
Looks half decent so far .

3 Likes

Try using Watkins Danish Oil instead of shellac. Much more natural and beautiful finish. I use it on all my woodworking projects.

4 Likes

I’ll give it a go .
Thank you again @PamPurrs

2 Likes

There’s a physical and mental adjustment - but it comes together fairly quickly.
Having said that - I do have a wonderful cautionary tale I love to share:

6 Likes

I just read that story @Gio and I’m scratching my head in bewilderment. “What was that guy thinking?”
You are correct in your assertion that the fiver is not an entirely difficult instrument to learn or play, but yes it takes some adjustment. I can’t even imagine this fellow walking out on stage with one having never played or practiced with it previously.

3 Likes

It was a really pretty bass…

5 Likes

Cool story @Gio and as Pam said “ What was he thinking?”.
Slightly different situation for me as I am a home noodler and have no musical ambitions at this moment in time ( although I have been thinking :thinking:)

4 Likes

So I stayed up to stupid o’clock last night and this is the result.

I’ve got to adjust the string height at the nut end and then the intonation to get to a playing stage.

16 Likes

Wow that’s turning out looking great!

5 Likes

Thank you @howard

3 Likes

Still not got round to buttoning this up but I just had to plug her in and try her out.
First impressions?
Well, the neck feels like a baseball bat and damn that extra string is tricky :scream:
But I will persist and give it my best.
Still got to sort the pots too as one is not adjusting…where’s my Ibanez :joy:

4 Likes

Mhhhh. Beautiful!
You must be proud!

3 Likes

Nice job Mac, love the wood :+1:
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Thank you @juli0r and @TNKA36

I nearly stained the wood either a yellowish colour or a dull brown ( I tried both in the pickup hollow) but neither would have done the grain justice.

Another question for 5 stringers, how do you find the round wounds on your bass? I reckon I might be a bit spoilt with the flats on the SR but I’m finding the B a big chuck of rough string lol

4 Likes

No problem for me with rounds for a B string. I use pretty good rounds though.

5 Likes

Yeah,these came with the kit so I’m assuming they will be very basic. I may have to go string shopping @howard

3 Likes

Looking good!

3 Likes

Thank ya kindly @PamPurrs

New strings on order too. I went with some Ernie Ball ones as they were on sale at the Bass Centre in Melbourne. Somewhere I dare not go unaccompanied lol

3 Likes