A silly bead question from a beginner bassist

Eh. Tuning down to drop D takes no time anyway, seconds really. And even four drop tuners wouldn’t work for BEAD since you really want thicker strings. The smallest I would go on a B string is .130.

2 Likes

Dropping 3 whole tones (EADG to BEAD) would be pretty drastic.

I’ve just tried it on my Dingwall. I can downtune the E to B with the standard string and it sounds OK but the resulting string tension is too low to dig in with. And that’s with a 36.25" scale on that string.

4 Likes

.105 is way too small for a B string, yeah. Even the “light” .125 ones are too small IMO for good playability. For me, .130 or preferably .135. Downtuning a standard EADG bass is not gonna work; same goes for the other strings.

3 Likes

no, bass stays in E standard, the pedal does the down tuning

The Digitech Drop is a polyphonic pitch shifter that can drop your guitar’s tuning from 1 semi-tone (eg: E down to Eb) all the way to a full octave.

honestly a game changer IMO if you’re changing tunings often :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Ahh, got it. When you said “drop tuning” I thought you meant with a drop tuning peg. Pitch shifting works pretty well; I have always liked Erik Arko’s comparison here betwean an EADG Attitude and a BEAD BB734A:

3 Likes

i mean a drop tuning peg would make life even easier still for like B drop A n stuff :joy:but not really necessary haha

software or pedal…all fun.

@howard You gave me Yamaha GAS…lol

1 Like

it’s not perfect, but it works :slight_smile:
don’t have the space (or money :smile:) for basses in multiple tunings, so pitch shifter it is :joy:

Yamaha = good :joy:
even my £80 second hand old entry level RBX170, couldn’t fault it :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

That tracked a whole lot better than I expected it to.
Sounds very usable, overall! :+1:

1 Like

It’s even easier in software :slight_smile:

1 Like