A silly bead question from a beginner bassist

So i want to play metal. I loves me some crushing bass and clanging cymbals. But i don’t fully understand the needs for a bass for low tuning.

I see a lot of tabs that are tuned to c, and it confuzzles me. Should i find a 5 string and attempt it that way, or is it better to change a nut and make a bead? Will doing this affect string tension on the neck? Will this cause mechanical problems?

I get that this is probably a real rookie question, and that i could probably find a Reddit thread-but i can trust the input i get here.

4 Likes

I’m a hard-core fiver, so my answer might be a bit biased…
I have gone the BEAD route without causing any undo stress on the neck. You will have to file out the nut though, but keep in mind, once you do that, there’s no turning back (other than replacing the nut). You wiĺl only be able to "realistically " use this bass on scores that don’t utilize the G string, so be sure to have EADG bass on hand also.
At the end of the day, I decided to just stick with the more versatile 5 strings.
Just my opinion and experience.

7 Likes

Makes sense, @PamPurrs.

If ever a tune I wanted to play would require hitting notes below a low E, I’d get a five.

4 Likes

I appreciate this. It’s kinda where i was. I considered buying a good pawn ship find and modifying the nut ( and bridge saddle ) but as @PamPurrs pointed out, this is a point of no return thing. And while i don’t mind dedicating a bass for it, it seems excessive.

So, i guess the hunt is on for a 5 string with that huge 19.5 mm string spacing that i need. A previous crush injury left my plucking fingers in pretty horrid shape, you should see the drill pattern on my bowling balls😆

3 Likes

I wish I wanted a 5 string. You see some really killer deals on some really nice ones!

4 Likes

Psst… I’ll make you an offer you can’t refuse!

3 Likes

Yeah, I know what you mean. There are tons of smoking (I think) deals on used fivers everywhere. I just have neither the need nor the desire for anything more than four-strings.

6 Likes

Woohoo! Go for it, @autumnsdad1990!

4 Likes

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MDB5OXB--ibanez-mike-dantonio-signature-mdb5-bass-guitar-oxblood-weathered-black

Comes from the factory in Drop C. It’s a really nice bass, for all the neck is chonky it’s the right kind of chonky, feels really nice

I will say changing a nut is a simple thing.

Downtuning will reduce the tension, so you will be okay on the neck, though you will need to setup and probably adjust the truss.

3 Likes

I have a sterling I use for tim commerford or tool covers tuned DADG. Anything lower i use a 5 string.

I get the problem though, a lot of Babymetal songs are in Drop A or B-F#-b-e

I would take a dedicated bass

1 Like

Yeah. I gave them a shot but just didn’t like the string spacing at all. And this was with a Warwick, where I could adjust that to be wider.

The other thing about 5-strings is that in my opinion the B string is useful for about seven frets total before it starts to get a muted, muddy timbre. This is true of all of them I have seen, not just mine. Recommend trying one to see what I mean.

I liked BEAD but it requires a dedicated bass for it.

One thing I did like about the 5 - the ultra-flat neck radius.

2 Likes

So I’m looking at that, and I’m pretty sure the sterling’s are 19 mm. I’m gonna look it up. I may just pull the trigger on that. Not only because it’s a good rig, but it also allows me to have a piece of badass bass gal history…

5 Likes

If you do, dont buy it from Reverb. I’ll give you a bass badass discount.

5 Likes

Let me look at where I’m at this week. I’ll message you later this week. Thank you, Pam.

3 Likes

4 Likes

I agree 101%.

For new players this answers the question of why some players have more than one bass while on stage.
There may be other reasons but different tuning is the main one. IMHO

4 Likes

GAS Guy almost got me on this one.

4 Likes

Hey, money talks and…

3 Likes

I just use the Drop tuner, multiple tunings without having to adjust a thing :+1:
And much cheaper than multiple basses set up differently :joy:

1 Like