A Small Bass?

Long story short, because of work I’m going to be living in a small space with almost no storage for several months pretty soon. I won’t have anywhere to put my any of my basses, but I don’t want to lose the minimal progress I’ve made in learning the instrument.

I have seen the Steinberg Spirit, and it’s too small to fit in the locker space I’ll have. Does anyone know of anything smaller I might be able to take? Is there even any option of continuing practice when I have no space? I’ve seen the acoustic bass you take apart and I doubt even that would fit. What kind of options exist for someone traveling in very confined quarters for continuing to practice?

4 Likes

Mikro or ubass. I have both, they’re both fun.

4 Likes

Ubass has the advantage of no amp.

There’s also stuff like the Fernandes Zo, with a built in amp/speaker.

(“Zo”, like used here and with the cookware brand Zojirushi, means “elephant”. Which makes these like 2x cuter when you know it. It has a little power LED where the eye would be :slight_smile: )

Lots here, might be hard to find in the US.

6 Likes

This is what I have, Traveler Guitar Bass TB-4P, built in aux & headphone amp. I take it with me every time I travel.

5 Likes

I guess you meant to say “too large”!?!

Anyway, check this out (just popped up on NoTreble):

Starting from around USD 500 for a four-string version. Throw in an octaver pedal and you should be all set!
2 Likes

Traveler Guitar makes an ultra light bass that’s really small.

My husband owns a Traveler Pro-Series Electric Guitar and it’s very light, easy to transport and sounds great through a headphone amp. The ultralight bass version is short scale and Traveler does not currently offer a pro version, but if storage space is your primary concern it could be a solution.

4 Likes

You could look at the Hofner shorty line as well. It’s even smaller than a regular Hofner.

Shorty

3 Likes

I’ve seen these but I think even this is too big for me to take…

2 Likes

Hmm this might actually be short enough?? I’ll double check how small my locker is but this is intriguing. Thanks!

3 Likes

This bass does have a 1.65 width at the neck. I have one. P bass type of neck. For being so small they actually sound good.

I also have traveller acoustic bass. Very well made guitars.

4 Likes

What a neat little bass. Big thumbrest too :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thumbrest is removable. Nice little feature :crazy_face: :rofl:

4 Likes