AC DC

5 Likes

You will sound just like that if you get this

Unfortunately, itā€™s not available anymore :frowning: it was a steal too at less than $7000. No not Cliffā€™s the replica, :joy:

2 Likes

It was a steal for MM! :rofl:

3 Likes

More like a robbery :joy:

3 Likes

Highway robbery. :money_with_wings:

3 Likes

We end every set (typically 4 a night) with an AC/DC number because our lead singer does a great Brian Johnson. Right now we do Shook Me, Thunderstruck, Noise Pollution, Shoot to Thrill, and Highway. We, for whatever reason, donā€™t ever play Back in Black. Iā€™m relatively new; Iā€™ll have to ask why we never do that one. Anyway, theyā€™re all really fun and pretty easy, and we get a great reaction from the crowd. A lot of our tips come as a result of AC/DC :moneybag:

4 Likes

Is it wrong to play AccaDacca on something like this?

We play Highway to Hell, Hells Bells and High Voltage so far.

3 Likes

Wrong? Or weird?
Not necessarily. Yes, very.
:grin:

I think the biggest problem is that itā€™s going to be really hard to get anything like an ā€œauthenticā€ AC/DC tone using a Hofner, right?

Personally, Iā€™m not a stickler about having the exact tone of whichever player or band. I enjoy watching some of the ā€œhow to sound like so-and-soā€ videos, but Iā€™m not hung out on having certain equipment and settings in order to mimic that sound. I play one of two bases ā€” a Squier PJ or an Epi with ProBuckers ā€” both with flats, run through a Fender Rumble 800, and like 2 pedals or 3 at mostā€¦ and thatā€™s what I play no matter what my band is covering.

If I know the next set is going to feature songs that sound better on the PJ, Iā€™ll grab that one, but if midway through the set thereā€™s a song or two that would probably sound better with the humbuckers, Iā€™m most likely not going to switch basses because I just donā€™t have that kind of time between songs.

In other words, I find that convenience outweighs striving for ā€œauthenticity.ā€ Iā€™m in a cover band that covers about 40 bands in 4 hours, spanning at least 4 distinct genres, so itā€™s about sounding good not sounding precisely like each bassist in each band.

All that being said, if I owned a Hofner style bass, I wouldnā€™t bring it to the gigs Iā€™m playing because we donā€™t do any Beatles numbers and very little Motown or soul; it just wouldnā€™t fit the vibe of my band or our setlist.

So, in my opinion, thereā€™s a lot of leeway in what is acceptable, but a violin bass for AC/DC might be a bridge too far!

2 Likes

Mine is an Epiphone Viola, way different to a Hofner.
It can sound like a Hofner, but it is way more versatile and can sound like a growly solid body too.
Try one if you get a chance.
As to playing a violin bass with the ā€˜wrongā€™ genre, well it meets my definiton of both punk and metal. Using the ā€˜rightā€™ bass is just pretentious :sunglasses: :crazy_face:

3 Likes