Acoustic Bass Dilemma

Best idea yet!

Thank you Brian @TNKA36

3 Likes

See, there you go. No reason for it to take up gear space you could fill with something else, and it might fund a few kegs for the Legion.

3 Likes

Yeah, but did you give it to your friend because he wanted to play music or because he needed money?? It’s fantastic to help a friend in need, but if they need money for the rent, don’t give them a nice guitar and have them make a potentially painful decision about that guitar.

I understand and respect that, but if I were to give a (valuable) instrument to someone it would of course be with the hope/intention that they started to learn that instrument and enjoyed making music with it. I don’t think that is “control”, but a clear intent.

If it is, on the other hand, about freeing up funds for helping a friend in need, I would sell it myself and give them the money. Otherwise, it can taint a friendship, as others have pointed out.

1 Like

nah, he didn’t need money. the point is i wanted to make it clear to him it’s a gift. i just believe when you give a gift to somebody it is now theirs to do what they want with and you don’t have any say anymore.

4 Likes

Agree. Kind of related to the idea that it’s better for friendships to give people money rather than lend it.

3 Likes

If it were only that easy. I’ve attempted to buy people things I thought they would enjoy and wouldn’t probably choose on their own. That idea doesn’t always stick.

5 Likes

Perhaps you can just ‘pay it forward’ and pass it on to someone else for free.

3 Likes

Don’t feel bad about it. Sell it, I wouldn’t let guilt like that get in the way. I’d replace it instantly if I hated it.

2 Likes

Well just sell the thing shrug
No need to feel guilty about it!

2 Likes

@PamPurrs i now have tapes on my semi hollow and once again love the unique sound they bring, you may find the tapes do wonders for that bass.

for me with the AE, the body was just too big for my liking but loved the tone

3 Likes

@John_E yeah, I can imagine. That’s why I ordered a set of tapes from my AE. I’ll have a hard time getting past the largeness of the body, but maybe with the tapes I’ll dislike it just a little bit less.

3 Likes

I think it’s either the strings you’re using don’t sound good with that bass or it’s just not a good quality acoustic bass. Could also be you just don’t like acoustic bass.

But I’m only guessing it’s not a good quality acoustic bass. I can assure you there are great sounding acoustic basses though.

If you were open to keeping an acoustic bass in your arsenal even if it’s not that one then I urge you to make a trip back to Guitar Center and check out some of the acoustic basses there. It’ might help change your mind about them.

They don’t have to exclusively feel like they’re for kumbaya moments around the campfire. It’s still in my plans to get an acoustic bass back here actually.

2 Likes