Acoustic Bass Dilemma

I have an inexpensive acoustic / electric bass that I thought I’d enjoy, but I don’t. I can’t stand playing it for more than a couple minutes. I hate the feel of those acoustic strings (they feel like corduroy), and I have to wear a glove when I play it. The thing is huge! Nothing about the tone excites me. The feedback from the sound hole is horrendous. I have no desire to sit around a campfire and play bass (I hate camping).
Did I mention I don’t like it?
The dilemma is, I got it for free (see this thread), and I feel somewhat guilty about selling it and pocketing the cash. But then I think about what I could buy with the money I get.

I need help!
90cbd4d10fa83921adef4ea4fdb61051df040072b8fb5d339973413c3db69b2c.0

8 Likes

It seems you know the answer deep down… :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Consider to give it to a school or club where some kids can enjoy it!

9 Likes

My mother frequently tells me “Don’t sell your luck”.
Meaning if something comes to you by chance there’s a reason for it so don’t discard it.

I think that’s a crock of the proverbial.
If it brings you no pleasure then move it along to someone who does enjoy it.

If selling it doesn’t sit well then donate it to a charity shop.

Just MHO of course. :smiley:

6 Likes

Buy low, sell high. They wanted to help The Legion. I’m pretty sure they aren’t attached to how you realize the benefit. It was a gift to you. After that it’s yours to do as you please.

6 Likes

Thank you @DaveT. Now that you’ve put that spin on it, I feel much better about selling it and using the cash for something else. :guitar:

5 Likes

This isn’t like a friend of yours gave it to you with deep personal meaning. It was given to you in exchange for an interview with a stranger as part of a thank you for your service. That is a really nice gesture of them, but I really don’t think they would be offended that you’ve figured out it isn’t the right fit for you but can help you towards something that is. I think your conscious and kharma should be in the clear on this one and you should feel fine about selling it.

5 Likes

I gave someone a new PC once because I saw that they really needed it. They sold it and used the money for something else. My first reaction was being upset, but a gift is a gift, not an entrance for me to control their life. Giving means letting go!

9 Likes

Completely agreed, but had I been that friend I probably would still mention my plans to sell it to you to avoid harsh feelings if you came over one day and it was gone. It just all depends on the friendship and the situation.

When I was in the Navy, I was upgrading to a better car and getting ready to sell my old clunker. I figured I might be able to get $500 out of it. Before I even put it up for sale, one of my Navy buddies who I knew was broke mentioned he was looking for a cheap car. I told him my plan to sell mine, but that since we were friends and since he was in a tough spot, I’d sell him the car for two cases of beer. I sold him the car, he was free to do what he wanted with it, but I still think he is a dick for turning around and selling it for $500 right away without a word to me about it. I didn’t get pissed off and confront him about it, but you better believe it was the last favor I ever did for him.

8 Likes

I think of things like this…there are pluses and minus in life, and you should stay heavily on the plus side, doing more good than not. It is not ‘transactional’. If selling this gets you something you like, it is a selfish plus, so a minus in the others column, sure, but if you do other things to help others that counter it and in general are on the plus side of life, then you are good.

You can sell it for what?
$100 maybe?
Or donate it and give yourself $100 to spend on what you like.
But my view of instrument donation is they have to go somewhere where they will be used. Who is looking for an acoustic bass?
I don’t know.
I donate dozens of instruments to kids in New Orleans via my little Noise4NOLA thing, and I know they go to good use via Stafford Agee in Rebirth Brass Band who I work with on this.
Giving your bass away for it to go unused, better to sell and buy something else with your good fortune, its still your good fortune.

On the A/E front, I was in same boat as you.
Bought one with hopes and dreams of plucking on the back patio at the fire pit.
Hated how big it was, how bad it sounded in amplified (and it sounded good as far as AEs go) but never played it. And I had La Bella tapes on it! You could try putting those on but they will need nut work and I think you will be in the same spot you are in now.

My solve … the Gretsch hollow body, about as loud unplugged as the AE, much better tone and is just a dream to play plugged in with a wide tone pallet. They make a short scale version too, and you can find used on Reverb if patient. I will never buy a AE bass now that I have the Gretsch, it ticked a lot more boxes.
Hell, even the U-Bass is better in my opinion.

it’s kinda sad that there are not many good AE basses. Martin is supposed to be ‘the one’ but I don’t intend to find out for $2000, I am good.

6 Likes

Yeah, for sure !!!

4 Likes

You can always change strings, but if you sell it and put the cash towards a new bass you’re fulfilling the intent of the giver

4 Likes

From what I’ve read about acoustic basses, if you put flats on them they don’t sound right. That’s why I put the acoustic strings on it.

2 Likes

gave my best friend a really expensive guitar as a present. the first thing I told him was it’s yours, if you want to sell it and pay your rent, it’s yours - do what you want.

5 Likes

I don’t know the tapes were great. I think it depends on what your going for. Straight flats maybe but tapes gave it a bit of an upright thump esp when amped. I think AEs I amped all sound a bit wonky regardless.

2 Likes

Maybe I’ll try some tapes and see…

Or this?

4 Likes

trade it and go try a UBass. They sound like an upright when plugged in. The rubber band like strings take a little getting used to, but they are not uncomfortable. I play flats like you mostly and like these.

3 Likes

Ide say keep it. There’s gunna be that one day in the future and think ide like to try it on an acoustic. I also have 1 I never touch but it’s mainly because I don’t know how to play bass haha. But I got mine for like 40 bucks so it was practically free. Once I know how to play bass a lot better Im gunna try things on the acoustic.

1 Like

I know what I would do but I am really draconian about liquidating gear I don’t use. If I were you I’d have sold it by now :slight_smile:

It was given to you. You own it. Don’t feel bad if you want to sell it.

4 Likes

Hi Pam @PamPurrs ,
I remember you getting the bass from the veterans day out, you can always pay it forward if you dont like it??
sell it and donate the funds back to the veterans, what goes around comes around.
The good karma will come back to you IMO,
thats my take for what its worth,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes