Acoustic basses

Any acoustic basses really worth buying? I looked at a few groups and forums and it seems like they’re to quiet to really bother with unless you want to spend some bucks. I’d like one eventually but maybe a hollow body would be better.

What does the bassbuzz folks think?

2 Likes

You can do a search in the BassBuzz forums for “acoustic,” which will get these discussions to start with:

3 Likes

As usual it depends…
I fiddled with a few as I considered buying one, ultimately they’re not comfortable to play, but they have a cool sound and if you want to sit outdoors away from an amp they’re a good option
What I wanted was something to play on the couch while watching tv and what not, to memorize the fret board and some shapes ; I got an ukulele type bass, it’s fun , serves the purpose , but it doesn’t replace the electric
Ultimately, give it a try and see if you like it and it fits your purpose

3 Likes

I have a Fender acoustic.
I like it and have put on tapewounds.
Good sound and decent volume.
ATM I am taking it to work one day a week to jam with a guitar player at lunch (he is much better than me).
It is much easier than luging around a small amp.
I got it to take camping with a group of regulars and the one time I have so far the guitar player hurt his hand and didn’t want to play.

3 Likes

I love playing my acoustic. It’s great for being able to quickly pick up and play when I’m sitting in the living room. It also has that acoustic sound you can’t get from an electric. Which, I enjoy.

It doesn’t matter how much you spend. If you play a $1,000 acoustic bass, it’s still going to be quiet compared to an acoustic guitar. The physics behind it means the body would have to be as large as a standup bass for it to really work. This is why most of them come with electronics for playing with others.

The only thing I would like different, is I would like to have one that’s smaller. I’ve got a big bodied Dean acoustic and it’s rather cumbersome for what I use it for.

Whether you would like it or not comes down to how you intend to use it.

2 Likes

Do you find the tapewounds have a bit more volume/sustain than normal flatwounds? I have flats on my electro acoustic but they are quite quiet and have very little sustain (unless it’s plugged in).

2 Likes

I had Chromes on but didn’t like them. Rounds were too zingy.
Tapes seem pretty good to me and are plenty loud for my needs.
I like flats and tapes on my electrics

2 Likes

I have an acoustic bass : Ibanez PCBE12MH.
The video is one minute, a fragment.
Seven Nation Army : The White Stripes
I bought acoustic so I don’t need to rely on electricity or external equipment. I like it. When I begin looking for amateur musicians to practice with I will buy an amp. We are amateurs, we won’t care :metal: :slight_smile: :metal: .

5 Likes

Crazy by Gnarls Barkley - Acoustic Bass
I hadn’t played the song for many months, this was my fourth attempt at recording, there are a few mistakes, near enough can be good enough :slight_smile: .

1 Like

Further questions on the Fender FA450CE… am I better off buying direct from Fender or from Guitar Center? Last guitar I bought was from Sam Ash many yrs ago… wasn’t aware you could buy direct…advantages/ disadvantages?

1 Like

I’ve bought from both Fender direct and GC. Service is pretty much the same.

Fender will ship you brand new, GC maybe it’s a return, or out of the box hanging in a store.

2 Likes

Thanks! Wondered if that was the case with GC… was the guitar you got from Fender well protected?

1 Like

Packaging was fine

2 Likes

Comes to mind even if bought from a retailer, it would come in the standard Fender packaging to the retailer so it’s kind of moot.

1 Like

Seems to work (playing in a camp chair will make anyone look fat, honest)

7 Likes

Saw this’n today at the local shop
Cordoba MINI II Bass MH-E Solid Top Ac/El Short Scale Bass with Bag - Vivace Music Store Brisbane, Queensland’s Largest Music Store

had a quick play, very small but surprisingly loud and deep.

“The Mini II Bass is here to expand your horizons and your registers! Based on our popular travel-size Mini, the Mini II Bass is slightly bigger and features an extended 580mm (22 7/8”) scale length so it tunes perfectly to Standard E. Keep it acoustic and the Mini II Bass’s deeper body depth will provide a well-rounded tone; use its Cordoba MB103 pickup to plug it in and you’ll be surprised by this portable bass’s rich, robust tone. Built with a solid spruce top and striped ebony back and sides, the Mini II Bass EB-E is resonant with a clear, defined tone. Strung with nylon core, phosphor-bronze strings, the Mini II Bass feels and sounds more like a full size bass than its miniature bass counterparts. With the Mini II Bass EB-E, you’ll never have to leave the low-end behind!”

Very tempted because they offered to knock off a chunk of the price- I really went there to have a look at a black OBass they have listed but apparently hasn’t arrived yet.

Also looked at this one as usual

3 Likes

Have a look at the Kala Journeyman too!

I have it, but must sell it due to the CFO “only three (bass) guitars only!” rule, unfortuantely.
It’s a great little bass ukulele - it looks cool and really sounds like a little double bass! I love it and am really sad to see it go,

If you try to get it, take the one with the metal strings, not the sloppy rubber ones!

1 Like

Yeah the one I looked at has metal strings

1 Like