Does anyone use an acoustic bass for practicing?

I am thinking of getting an acoustic bass mainly for practicing and maybe an acoustic jam night that happens in a local pub.
For reasons I can’t go into at the moment I can only play the bass at work. That is where my amp is and lugging everything home and back every day would not work.
I am thinking of getting a cheapo acoustic that I can leave in the car and play anywhere
I am thinking of something like this
Dose anyone have any experience of this bass?
Ca you alter the action etc

1 Like

Action on an acoustic can only be adjusted by altering the height of the strings at the nut and bridge - by filing them down. If you don’t know what you’re doing you could easily go too far, and taking an £89 bass to a luthier is pretty pointless as you may pay near enough the same again for a setup.
That all depending upon whether the neck is straight, and whether it can be adjusted via a truss rod.

Another thought - leaving an instrument of wooden construction in a car boot for an unspecified amount of time in the current UK temperature and humidity level, and then taking it into a much warmer temperature and different humidity level (such as a pub for instance) may have undesirable effects upon said instrument.

4 Likes

I may be wrong about the car boot/pub temperature and humidity thing, and for £89 it may be worth taking the chance, but I certainly wouldn’t risk it with a Stradivarius.

I’m not wrong about the other bit though.

2 Likes

Thanks @Mark_D
I just had a thought
I have another bass, a tanglewood that is not worth anything. I bought it originally to do the B2B course but a mate (Bass player) said it was a bit shit.
I could get a headphone amp for it for practicing at home.
It is a cool bass as it has a very small body compared to my Squire
I don’t mind it this one goes in the car etc
Paul

1 Like

Result :+1:

1 Like

Something like this

1 Like

What will you spend the other £77.01 on?

I’d probably put it towards my flight to Lanzarote at end of Feb 2020.
I think that’s about £92 return, so it would be most of the fare :smiley:

What would everyone else spend it on?
Post in, let us know.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Strewth that’s pretty good for the money - I just looked at a YouTube vid.

Still enough wedge left over for a Ruby Murray too !!

(that’s cockney rhyming slang for ‘curry’ btw, for our international brothers and sisters)

1 Like

Right, that’s your shopping sorted - now I gotta go to Aldi to do mine, and get some odds and ends for a pineapple capsicum habanero chilli and onion gravy sauce to have with bangers and mash later :yum:

2 Likes

Less than £55 on ebay including postage

I am very tempted

2 Likes

Will that work with the headphone amp thing?

This is the vid I saw

2 Likes

There’s a headphone out on it, so you won’t need the headphone amp.

= enough wedge left over for 3 or 4 Ruby Murrays, or most of one leg of the Lanzarote flights :+1:

https://www.zoom-na.com/sites/default/files/products/downloads/pdfs/E_B1on_B1Xon_0.pdf

2 Likes

Might put it on mt Christmas list

1 Like

It’s pretty incredible for the money really.
I had no idea such stuff was available.

1 Like

I like the fact it has drum machine
As a beginner it would be really helpful for keeping time etc
I have always wanted to play around with a looper as well

1 Like

Yeah it’s packed with all you need for your purposes really.

Right I gotta go up Aldi.

2 Likes

We have a whole topic on these, go see “Zoom effects processors.” tl;dr, the B1on is a huge bang for the buck.

4 Likes

Yes, as @howard said, he created a whole thread just for these Zoom pedals (see link):

I actually just bought one last week, the B1 Four, this thing kicks ass, I’m still just figuring it out. I tried to find it used, but no luck at a good price, so just went on Amazon and paid retail, about USD $80. Now I need to go back through that thread for all the great suggestions! I got it because of the suggestions on that thread, and the good experience others seem to have had with it.

2 Likes