Acoustic Bass. What to practice?

I got myself an acoustic bass. Because i dont have the luxury of plugging amps. Does this limit my bass learning techniques? What can i hope to play or learn with an acoustic bass?

3 Likes

Assuming you mean an acoustic bass guitar and not an upright, you can play whatever you like, pretty much anything you’d play on an electric bass… it just won’t be that loud and some techniques might be a bit more challenging. I often play my electric basses unplugged when I’m working on theory stuff. Make sure it’s set up properly and the action isn’t too high.

6 Likes

Hi @jkhairulfitri !

I did the course on an acoustic bass. Slap is the only thing you will see in the course that’s more difficult on an acoustic but that’s inly one module.

Josh doesn’t cover tap in the course but that is also much more difficult on an acoustic bass. Still doable but it takes alot more force to get a good sound.

So, what did you get?

4 Likes

The violent femmes, my friend! And it will sound amazing.

7 Likes

Oh that’s an excellent suggestion. “Blister in the Sun” is a fun riff.

3 Likes

They did so much with the nylon acoustic. And it sounds great. I don’t have one, myself-but believe it’s on my wish list. Their stuff is really fun to play on an electric, too.

I’ve also thought soul to squeeze would sound really great on an acoustic bass.

3 Likes

Yes, this. But Charles berthoud sounds great on anything he plays. Plus hes so amazingly down to earth. There isn’t any crowing about how he is one of a handful that are that good. I really dig that guys style.

3 Likes

I got the fender kingman. Alright man!!! Now i feel more at ease. Haha

5 Likes

Will check them out man! Thanks for the suggestion.

4 Likes

You could go electric with a vox plug in

3 Likes

I like the Fender Kingman quite a bit. Even after playing some that are a lot more expensive, I would get a Kingman if I ever get another acoustic bass. The electronics are much better than the Dean that I have.

2 Likes

Same here. I was eyeing it for a long time.
I liked my Michael Kelly Dragonfly but it was just too darn gigantic. It was like playing a fishing boat.

3 Likes