Acoustic Electric Bass stuff

So on the weekend I’m going to drive an hour and a half to go look at the Fender Kingsman and the Ibanez AEG24E. The only store nearish to me that has both.

I like the thinner bodies and the looks of both. Besides, the Kingsman is on sale that brings it in line with the price of the Ibanez, around $650 CAD.

In this video Flea is playing a Kingsman, and near the timestamp in this intimate acoustic performance there is a closeup of the bass and it has a plug, or stopper in the sound hole. What’s the purpose of that?

https://youtu.be/U_kMQ9Ekuz0?t=842

1 Like

So he doesn’t lose his pick.

But really it’s to reduce feedback, I think.

1 Like

Interesting, I’ll give that a watch, Thanks @Barney !

2 Likes

@Barney is correct. It’s called a feedback buster and, you guessed it, it prevents feedback.

2 Likes

If you put in a balloon in a acoustic guitar hole it will sound like a Banjo :banjo:

3 Likes

That feedback is called Acoustic Roar!

It’s an apt name I discovered by accident when playing pretty loud in a small room. When I turned toward the amp, it surprised me so much it made me jump. The Roar sounds very different than the feedback you get with an electric bass. It’s kind of awesome. Worth doing on purpose just to hear what happens.

3 Likes

Interesting.

The reverse is not true though, at least not for me, when I take off the resonator and put a towel under the head to dampen the sound on my Gold Tone banjo. YMMV :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

as it turns out I wont have to travel all the way to Montreal to look at the guitars. I found 2 stores in town. Each has one!
I’ll start a new thread showing off my new toy, if I get it.

2 Likes

The one time I found a Kingsman to play, I liked it a lot. The only complaint I’ve seen is about neck dive from the traditional Fender headstock. It didn’t bother me though. I thought it felt and played as well as any of the much more expensive acoustic basses I’ve tried.

1 Like

The Ibanez also has neck dive, but the Fender is louder, acousticly.
That’s not a word…
I
Went with the Fender!

2 Likes

Tease! :joy::rofl::joy:

1 Like

EDIT: After playing it a bit following this pic, my arm now sits comfortably in the dip of the body. So comfy.

7 Likes

And just because I just took this picture. Here’s my family

4 Likes

I assume that iPad was adopted :joy:

4 Likes

Cool! :sunglasses::+1:

1 Like

Galaxy Tab, but don’t tell him. He think’s he’s a guitar.

3 Likes