Adam Neeley Looks at Hey Joe

That was a good one, scary how much I understand this stuff now after taking some theory classes.

1 Like

Sometimes a line feed before and/or after seems to help…

1 Like

Yeah. I tried that. I also tried pasting it in and using the link button. This one has me stumped.

1 Like

Hm, OK, sometimes there also is some extra code in the URL that you need to delete (I don’t have an example right now, but it is fairly obvious if you look at the whole URL to figure out what “should go”) :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

In the vein of Adam Neely doing music theory analysis (not quite the thread topic), his analysis of the US national anthem being turned into a Broadway musical was also interesting.

3 Likes

hah, just watched that the other night. i follow him closely and i always like his stuff but sometimes he just knocks it out of the park and this was one of those for me. just super interesting even if 40% of the time i don’t have any idea what he’s talking about.

4 Likes

Same here. I always feel smarter after listening to Adam even if I don’t understand it all. I think it’s because he talks like he’s having a conversation with somebody that understands it at well as he does and is just as excited about it as he is.

1 Like

I understand Adam slightly better than Rick Beato. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I liked his comment about the “superior instrument”.

Very entertaining watch!

3 Likes

right, another reason to like him. he kills on bass.

3 Likes

I miss his videos when he was primarily bass. Of course I love his theory and “life of a musician in NYC” stuff too so I’m conflicted.

3 Likes

I love how Adam manages to slip in “the superior instrument, the bass” while demonstrating the chords on guitar. :smiley_cat:

3 Likes

Adam Neely is dangerous, once I watch one video I find myself binging through several haha :rofl:

3 Likes

Yes, he’s very addictive; but quite knowledgeable, helpful, and entertaining.

3 Likes

It’s funny, I can tell he and I have had some of the same teachers by the expressions/phrases he uses,. Definitely, a rabbit hole to fall into with his videos

4 Likes

Really good video, going back to one of my all time favorite questions with creating music or just noodling, then asking, “What key is this in?,” once a nice riff or series of chords comes out. It really is oftentimes not very straightforward - all of these Neely nuances are helpful though in understanding it.

I kind of like this idea of an “E blues” tonality - haha, you sort of get to borrow chords that sound good from both the major and the minor classical tonalities with it!

6 Likes

Good to hear from you @Vik

3 Likes

Ditto what @PamPurrs said above . . . glad you’re back, @Vik . . . :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is a great example of why knowing about the Circle of 4ths/5ths is beneficial.
If you want a challenge write your own circle of 5ths from scratch.

Here is a written out explanation re. Hey Joe from one of my theory books.

Here is the cover of the theory book I took the page from.

And finally, here is my version of the Circle that I put together showing all the keys without cramming some of the key segments together, at the bottom, when it comes to the 5,6 and 7 sharps and flats. I am not sure why nobody else seems to have done this before because with 7 sharps and 7 flats plus the key of C, with no sharps or flats, I always felt the circle should have 15 individual segments.

4 Likes

Cool they addressed Hey Joe in that book.

You are the first person I’ve seen comment on using the All About Music Theory book that Josh recommends. You also mentioned having multiple theory books.

If you have time comment about them over here…
Theory Books You’ve Loved and Hated - Theory - BassBuzz Forum

2 Likes