Theory Books You've Loved and Hated

We have multiple threads that get into this but no central place to send new people who are interested in learning more about music theory. That’s what this thread is for.

So, tell us here. Which books (or other resources) have you loved, which ones have you hated, and which ones have helped you the most.

8 Likes

Here is some of what I’ve picked up around the forum.

@JoshFossgreen recommends this book for music theory.
All About Music Theory By Mark Harrison

Josh also recommends this website.
musictheory.net

Many people on BassBuzz have bought this book.
Music Theory for the Bass Player (arisbassblog.com)

@gcancella started this thread and created the below web site for exploring scales, modes, chords, and intervals.
https://fretful.io/ .

@juli0r started this thread and created the below website for practicing your scales.
Groove and Scale Workout (for Beginner and BadAsses)

4 Likes

Music Theory for Dummies was the first book I read when I started learning bass and it was extremely helpful. After that I moved on to Ariane Cap’s music theory for bass players.

6 Likes

I tried reading this theory book about 5 times and never got past chapter 3. I guess that’s why I work in construction?
BriefHistoryTime

However, Music Theory for the bass player makes sense to my undeveloped brain!

10 Likes

Just purchased the music theory app you mentioned there recommended by Josh https://www.musictheory.net/
Looks promising and less than a cup of coffee

7 Likes

I bought two books by Ariane Cap based on the recommendations from @PamPurrs . Will be here on Monday. Can’t wait. The theory book for bass and patterns for bass.

3 Likes

Ari says it doesn’t matter which you read first, but my recommendation is read the theory book first.

2 Likes

That is the plan. I figured theory is a great segue to the patterns that follow.

2 Likes

I have both also and I have to second what @PamPurrs said.

2 Likes

I have both and agree. The first exercise in the pattern book is to write out the Major / Minor scales on the fretboard. But you obviously need to have read her theory book to be able to do this. It’s the most logical progression IMHO.

3 Likes

:joy:

1 Like

It’s great to see so many people who want to advance beyond the basics and learn theory. It’s such an interesting topic, and so beneficial to those who wish to excel in their music journey. There are many great books and online courses on this topic, but I can’t speak highly enough about Ari’s books and Mark Smith’s courses on TalkingBass.

3 Likes

I received this book yesterday about the Nashville Number System. I’ve been casually reading through it, and it’s fascinating. I’m already fairly familiar with the NNS, but this book takes that knowledge to a higher level.
Thanks for recommending it @Sully :+1:

3 Likes

How :thinking:

1 Like

@PamPurrs did you download the audio files that go with it yet?

2 Likes

Not yet but I will

2 Likes