Adding a thumb rest to an acoustic bass

Thanks for the reply! I feel pretty good about floating thumb when it comes to resting on the other strings but when I play the E string or anchoring when there is a lot of string crossing I feel so lost without a rest. I am a little worried about adhesives but I think you are right I think they would work well.

3 Likes

Yeah, just for testing, just to find the right place, I would just use a little tape, just enough to hold it in place for you to play, not really using it, but feeling out the position with your thumb to see if it is in a good place.
If it is a good place, some lines so you have the placement marked, and get it off.
If you need to move it, get it off right away, and move it a little, using the same tape, and try again until you find the right spot, and when it is the right spot, mark it with pencil, adn remove it right away.

3 things
1 - don’t use a lot of pressure to put it on
2 - don’t use a lot of pressure when playing so it is not pushed down
3- don’t leave it on too long
should be fine.

As far as gluing it on, yeah, it will be part of the bass for life

2 Likes

I recommend floating thumb. Period.

P.S. I’m partial to the floating thumb technique, but also I wouldn’t drill holes in that acoustic bass.

5 Likes

@Benjinx I’m going to throw this in.

It depends on how much you spent on your acoustic. Mine was $151 and it’ll never be worth it to sell. So, if I wanted a thumb rest I would put one on. If I had nicer acoustic, I wouldn’t do it.

Otherwise, I did the course on my acoustic and it’s what I play everyday. I just got used to not having a ‘proper’ thumb rest. Sometimes, when I’m working hard on the E string or when I’m focusing on more complicated string crossing, I will unconsciously put the pad of my thumb against the body. And sometimes I get a cramp in my thumb because of it.

If the floating thumb is comfortable for you I would say to stick with it. It’s great to have that tool to work with. I often chastise myself for not dedicating more time to it.

3 Likes

I found I really needed a thumb rest for my acoustic so I made one. I don’t know much about woodwork but it wasn’t too difficult. I decided I wanted the thumb rest to clamp on to the guitar, rather than drilling holes. A friend suggested I make some templates out of cardboard, for the front and back. This was especially important because of the bracing inside the guitar. I purchased a Mexican rosewood pen blank on EBay, along with some M3 screws with nuts. I cut the pen blank in half (lengthways) and went about shaping both sides of the thumb rest. I finished it in teak oil and glued some felt onto the surfaces that would be in contact with the guitar. It’s made it much more comfortable to play!

13 Likes

Welcome to the forum @MattG.
That is fantastic work.
We have an upgrade thread, I think you can post those pictures there to get some more exposure, I am sure everybody would love to see this.
It is simple, beautiful, and innovative at the same time.
I bet you could market those., it is so cool.
I do want to get an Acoustic soon, and I am not sure weather I would want a thumb-rest or not, but if I did, I would buy one of those from you.
IDK what your actual cost was for the materials, probably not much, but I bet you could sell those for $15-$20 shipped. I would pay that.

2 Likes

I might like it a little further away from the string, but not a big deal, just a small adjustment.

Also, one last thing, not a huge critique, but if you could match the fretboard with it, could be cool.

Thanks T-dub. Each one of these would need to be custom made as the bracing inside the guitars will vary and I suspect the sound holes too.

What is the upgrade thread called?

2 Likes

Thant would be ideal! Sourcing the wood is the problem though. In the end I just thought I’d go with a piece of wood that at least looked good (It has to be very hard wood too).

2 Likes

I will find the thread, hold on

Here it is

1 Like

If you were serious about making these to sell, I am sure you could get the dimensions needed, or just make them to order and ask the buyer to provide a few dimensions for you to work with.
But I also sense they would be somewhat universal, where you could make a range of product, small, med, large for instance.

1 Like

@MattG That’s really cool. Nice work. :+1:

2 Likes

I’ll give it some thought!

1 Like

I, er, did a slightly less professional job, shall we say :slight_smile:

Heavy duty double sided tape. Looks shite, but works a treat!

2 Likes

There ya go :+1:

2 Likes

It actually feels pretty good when playing considering it looks like it’s just been thrown at the bass from a distance :smiley:

2 Likes

You know how the saying goes.

“Throw it at the, Err… Bass, See what sticks”. :rofl:

2 Likes

Maybe museum putty – I have some that comes in little discs that I use for all sorts of things (planters, anchoring a charger or a light on my dresser, etc.) That might be a bit more secure than double-sided tape to help you figure out the best position, and it won’t leave any goo.