Upgrade Day! Anyone Else Upgrading?

I agree Toby I will put it through the motions tomorrow and update you with how it does

4 Likes

Most of what I do is in my home studio so I believe it will be great for the purpose I bought it for

4 Likes

Very nice little set up. Now I start to get why your tone and mix in your covers sounds so good. :+1:

5 Likes

@sfadams Thanks but I just added the amp today so hopefully it will improve the tone even more. We will see tomorrow hopefully

5 Likes

upgrade day, the hard way

14 Likes

Nice touch with the amber LED :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That is quite a tease @terb.

4 Likes

sure it is :grin:

2 Likes

Looks a bit like that time machine kit I purchased the other day… still waiting on that flux capacitor, though :crazy_face:

This is some advanced stuff, @terb!!

4 Likes

not that much, it’s a very easy mod. I plan to write a dedicated post when I’ll have experimented a bit more with it :slight_smile: but I can push the tease a little bit further : the thing is already working since yesterday evening … :grin:

5 Likes

I just took my Epiphone EB-0 to my guitar guy. He’s replacing the stock pickup with a Dimarzio Model One and adding a Model J pickup near the bridge. He’s also adding a volume control for the second pickup and replacing the bridge with a Babicz. And, of course, restringing it with flats.

10 Likes

Nice, is that the 30" scale?

4 Likes

Sounds like it is gonna cost you another bass, but you will have a beauty just the way you want it, and that is worth another bass :+1:

Notice how I price things by how many basses they will cost? Does that sound like a problem? How bad is it doc?

4 Likes

Yes it is. That’s why I went with the EB0 over the EB3, which is 34.

6 Likes

I would love to get a Gibson SG or a vintage Gibson EB3 but the SG is $1500 and we won’t even talk about the vintage ones. Even after everything is done with this one I will have spent less than half of an SG. And I would have upgraded the bridge on one of those too. :grin:

:laughing::rofl::joy:

5 Likes

@terb I’m looking forward to it!

@joeike How long till we get to see the finished product?

3 Likes

T-dub has kindly suggested I show the upgrade I did on my Dean EAB acoustic bass. I struggled to play it without a thumb rest so I made one for it. I didn’t want to drill any holes in the guitar so I thought something that clamped on would be ideal.

8 Likes

I played an Acoustic today, for the first time, I mean to really play it for a little bit, not just strum one off the wall (which I have only done one other time), and i got the luxury of paying a KingMan.

Don’t get me wrong, it was an extremely nice Bass, but, other then being able to really play it for a little bit, I don’t think it really felt all that better then the DEAN or Ibanez that I got to hold and strum once before. But I keep hearing how much better these Fender’s are.

I also think it is cool, and a bit fun, different for sure, but I don’t really see myself making it a GO TO for unplugged. i would still probably play my Ray or LTD un amplified more then this. IDK why, but I think I would.

I still want one, But I am more at the point, I will buy one that is $100, maybe $150, weather it is Fender, Ibanez, Dean, etc… (so they make Squire Acoustic?)

Here is my take on playing an Acoustic for anybody that has never tried one.

If you know Baseball, you will get this. When a batter steps to the on deck circle, and puts the weights on the bat, (they used to be donuts, i think they are sleeves now) and swings the bat in the air while timing the pitcher.
Then the Batter goes on deck and his bat feels lighter, and should be Faster.
Well, playing the acoustic is like playing my Electric bass Guitar with those donut weights on it, and when I play my Electric again, it feels lighter and faster (not necessarily lighter, because the acoustic is pretty light) and smooth and easy to fret and pluck.

If nothing else, an acoustic is the ultimate bass workout you can do.
Find any of the toughest finger exercise, challenges, workouts, that you do on your electric. Well, do them on the Acoustic, and you will get that much more of a workout.

Like drinking protein shakes and taking pre-workout, it makes the exercises more intense and meaningful.

If I get an acoustic, er… I mean when I get an acoustic, I will refer to it as my BASS GYM

(And yes, I know I will do so much more with an acoustic and i can make beautiful or driving music on one acoustically or electrically. So i know it is more then just a means to play the electric better, but it will, and you. can’t complain about te side effect of being a better bass payer over all

4 Likes

You’re 100% correct about the workout. Acoustics are just big and challenging! The action on mine is pretty high and it cant really go much lower because there is no adjustment on the bridge. The intonation therefore also cant be set correctly. I’m sure a luthier could sort this out but the cost wouldn’t be justified on a £200 bass. So I just use it outside (camping etc) or whenever I just need to pick up a bass quickly to try something. It just looks sooo cool too!

3 Likes

Yes and Yes

3 Likes