Advice on transitioning to a 5 string

I own several 5 string and one 6 string and of course a few 4 strings.

My usual decision is between the 3 nut width of Jazz, precision, or Musicman 4 strings. I only 5 and 6 string on the songs that needs it. I like the more nimble and spacious 4 string feel sometimes I stick with the 5 strings for a few weeks but it does wear off and I’m back to 4.

That said if I have enough chops, I don’t mind staying full time on 6 string, it’s a whole different animal altogether. It’s fun goofing around on the 6 string, lol.

2 Likes

I like 6 more than 5

2 Likes

There’s a short recalibration period maybe 10 minutes when I switch from 5 string and vice versa. Oddly, maybe it’s the extra fear or respect I have for 6 string, no calibration necessary.

Ditto everything @Wombat-metal said…

I can understand the 5 string thing, even if I don’t want one. Electric Wizard do a freaking sludge with a 4 string, it seems to be enough :grin:
but I don’t understand the 6 string thing really. who needs to go more trebly than a 4 string bass ? if I want to play more in the treble, I just play a guitar …

3 Likes

Depending on what you use to reference your fretting hand, you’ll either have no problems or a few problems going to a five string bass.
The thing to remember is that other people have done it before you and will continue to do so.
This means it’s not impossible, so you can do it too.
Here’s my experience on the way to make it as hard as you possibly can for yourself:
Have 17 basses in the house, with roughly equal distribution between four and five string. Swap them around continuously, while not practicing enough.

That will test your dedication, which you also don’t need.

As has also been said, you may wish to just get something you like with five strings and stick to it if you want to achieve things with the greatest speed.
My SR605 has the initially best feeling neck for me, however I discovered that neck profile can occasionally change what I can get to, based on how flat my hand was.
It is SO infrequent however, that it has only caught my attention twice in three years.

I literally got a photo from my “bass dealer” while I was typing this out, to show me that my Sterling Ray5 HH has arrived…
Best I cut this short as NBD happened again.

Yeah. I only really even use the G string when playing Peter Hook songs. I would do fine with a 3 string most of the time :slight_smile:

The only reason I don’t go BEAD again is also that reason - Sometimes I do like playing Joy Division or New Order.

1 Like

I discovered that “baritone” 4-string basses exist that are 35" scale vs 34" and come set up for BEAD :smiley:

I generally wouldn’t do it in a band situation; but when it’s just me playing for the enjoyment of playing, I do it all the time :slight_smile:

As the resident Schecter fangirl that mains two Schecter 5-strings, I love the company’s instruments. As has been said, they punch well above their weight, and one important thing imo to consider is that Schecter uses a 35" scale on their 5s. Ibanez, Fender, and ESP use 34" scale (Jackson uses 35 iirc). So there is going to be a little more tension on the strings, and imo it makes a big difference on that low B. I put a .135" on my 34" 6-string and while it helps, it still isn’t as good as the 35" Schecters. My GWB35 is decent at B0 and fairly floppy at A0. My 34" Carvin/Kiesel is pretty good for a 34 though.

I own a 4-string Stiletto Extreme and it’s an excellent bass so I imagine the 5-string will be just as good. Possibly a little weak in the pickup department but that’s an easy enough swap with ready-made solutions.

The Stiletto body shape ‘hangs’ differently than a more traditional shape. The headstock is a little further away than on my C-5 GT; but conversely my plucking fingers are ‘naturally’ closer to the bridge as a result. Or I have it backwards, I have a lot of brain fog this morning =/

As for transitioning, I just did it and never looked back. The only thing I have trouble with on a narrow-spaced (ie 16.5mm) 5-string is slapping. It’s easier on 18-19mm like a 4-string, for me at this point anyway. Obviously it can be done because a lot of bassists kill it. But yeah.

3 Likes

What basses are baritone? That would be intriguing and worthy of GAS

With the exception the Ibanez multi scale have 35" B strings

Lakland is 35” too :grin:

Well, it’s nice for chords, and it’s much more pleasant playing the notes further down the neck. Bass has a different sound than acoustic/electric guitar, it’s more like classical with nylon strings and if you already play bass, it’s much easier to just have a bass with one more string than it is to learn to play guitar… though I know everyone here just loves to buy more stuff :stuck_out_tongue: and guitar you get the high notes but you lose the low notes so unless you get an extended range guitar, that’s not a soloution.

They have 6 string cellos too, that’s how badly people want to not play viola :joy:

I’m probably going to change my 5 string fretless over to EADGC because I just don’t find that much use for the B string on fretless.

2 Likes

The extra strings help on playing Bach. Yes that’s pretty niche.

Basses are tuned symetrically unlike guitars. If you want to do melodic work the extra strings come in handy. I watch the bassist in my favorite band on his six string and he holds the groove on the lower strings, but uses the upper strings when he shreds a solo

Yes he does both at the same time

Gerald Veasley’s signature Ibanez is a very narrow 6 for this reason. I tried one out and kinda wish I’d kept it. It’s 14,5mm spacing at the bridge.

As an aside, I’m tuning all my guitars like a bass, now :smile: it makes me happy lol

I’ve come across some necks on Reverb and eBay. Also, Solar makes one and it’s pretty inexpensive, $650 on Thomman. Solars are made in Indonesia and reported to be of excellent quality. Ola Englund is the President of the company or something.

1 Like

This^^^

It’s beautiful to play chords through 6 string. Very nice vibe warn and gooey even the solo sounds great.

Check this out @terb

1 Like

HI Kevin, go play a few before you decide. Josh Fosgreen does a great “why 5 sting basses suck” video on youtube. He mentioned a few things about 5’s that I had never considered. I’ll stick to my 4 string for now.

1 Like

This reminded me - since you like Schecters and are disappointed in there being no 35" Ibanez, have you checked out the Yamaha TRB1004/5/6J? You would need to import them, but they are basically a higher end TRBX and are 35" scale. (Or more literally, the TRBX line was their entry and midrange version of a TRB crossed with an RBX.) I think the TRB1004J would make an awesome BEAD bass.

@joergkutter has one from the previous versions and they look like amazing instruments to me. They come in 4, 5, and 6 string variants and also have a John Pattucci signature model. Here’s they are in various colors:

1 Like

Here is my 5-string TRB:

It’s a 35’’ scale and a great bass, but almost too… refined. If you are looking for more growly, nasty tones, then this one isn’t going to be your first choice :smile:

Incidentally, as I have three fretted 5’ers now, I am going to re-string the TRB from E to C - that is likely to really scramble my brain, but I want to give it a try.

1 Like

I thought of this thread today because I was handed a 4 string bass in my favourite music shop and my brain wouldn’t let me start anything for a few seconds because there was a string missing.
I’ve been putting a LOT of practice in the last few weeks with the 5’s almost exclusively.
It was quite odd to realise what had happened. Then the penny dropped with the first few notes and I was off and running.

1 Like