Advice on transitioning to a 5 string

So, I’m seriously considering making the move to a 5-string from my current guitar, an Ibanez SR-300. Looking at possibly an SR-505EL Ibanez. Pros and cons of going to a 5-string? Any other guitar I should consider as well?

5 Likes

Ibanez is a great choices. Personally I like the Toby pro v. It offers an asymmetrical neck so it’s definitely more comfortable playing and it’s pretty light weight as well.

First couple of main issues you’d have to deal with is wider neck and string spacing. You’d be dealing with wider neck but narrower spacing between strings. Of course there are even wider neck with wider string spacing.

Second is string muting. If you have a good muting habit then this is an easy transition, if not you have to develop a good muting habit or getting ring all over the place.

5 string is not a graduating step to the next level, if you play in a certain genre of music or plan to gig with different genres of music and only need to bring bass then it’s great choice.

The pros obviously the 5 extra low notes plus more position on the same note on the fingerboard is convenient. If you put in the time to learn them it would be very rewarding.

5 Likes

What would you think of the Schecter Stiletto Extreme-5? Sweet looking guitar, but I’m unfamiliar with the brand and how it stacks up to the Ibanez.

7 Likes

Schecter is a well made brand, I came across a few but not my cup of tea.

7 Likes

Schecter is a brand that punches well above it’s weight in playability, features and looks. It is every bit the equal of Ibanez and many other more expensive basses. I have played several and they play beautifully and they sound full and the necks felt great.

6 Likes

Definitely look into “floating thumb” technique if you meed help with muting the open strings.

7 Likes

I’m kind of doing that already, since the E string can be a bit of a pain at times. It’s a good technique whether it’s a 4 or 5 string.

6 Likes

I concur! I’ve been using the floating thumb since I started, and its all I use, even when I switch to a 4 string.

5 Likes

I agree with the floating thumb, I also recommend comitting to it. Don’t go back and forth between a 4 and a 5, just play the 5. Restart the B2B course and go through the basics again, resting your thumb on the B string. You’ll adjust before you know it.

Once you’re used to the fiver, going back to the 4 is like riding a bike. Like any change in techinique/setup, your skill will seem to dip during acclimation. Just temporary. Embrace the suck

12 Likes

It took me about 20 mins to get used to playing a 5 string :stuck_out_tongue:

Going from my 5 string fretless back to 4 string fretted screws me up :laughing:

1 Like

5 string is easier imo.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t call it easier but a beginner can definitely starts on a 5 string it’s just one more string, it’s not anymore complicated than 4 string.

1 Like

I see quite a bit of 5 string players around my neck of the woods using a Lakland Skyline 55-02.

I’ve tested an Ibanez SR2405W and it had the sweetest 5 string neck I’ve ever tried.

3 Likes

Wise words, as I’m battling that myself. I was thinking about trading my 5, but I put the correct gauge strings on it, set it up properly, and now I can’t put it down. But every time I switch from the 5 to the 4 or vice-versa, there is this weird adjustment period. So yeah, pick one and stick with it.

Nice bass. Of Ibanez, I’ve had an SR300, an SR375E, an SR500E, and an SR700. The SR500E was hands down the best of the lot. If they took the good parts of the SR375E to make the SR505E, it’ll be one heck of a bass.

Eventually, I’ll have another Ibanez. :slight_smile:

1 Like

My Ibanez MDB5 is one of my favorite basses to play. Good stuff

3 Likes

2400 series is my favorite Ibanez of all time. Wish they kept making them. Combo of the electronics and hardware choices, the woods, and the look. Just perfect.

2 Likes

I played a zillion 5’ers before deciding.
The 55-02 blew everything away in its price range and down, and even up quite a bit. I really really wanted to like Dingwalls but it was all nope nope nope. And many others too.

The pickup combo and controls on the 55-02 give you a ton of tone range and most importantly a very very well voiced B string (I dunno, kinda key here, no?). Really well made ans very reasonable used.
YMMV.

6 Likes

Once you get used to the extra utility of the 5th string, it’s hard to go back to a 4 string for some things.

1 Like

I’ve played 5-Sting for about a year now, mainly for worship band. Since then I picked up a 4-string fretless acoustic bass. 4-String just isn’t good enough anymore, so I upgraded my strings so I could play drop B, tuned to BEAD. Once you play the 5-String it’s hard not having a low B string.

Even with the new guitars and drop tuning, I still fall back on my original 4-String bass to do lessons. I think playing multiple bass guitars on a regular basis is beneficial for building versatility and flexibility. I love being able to pick a guitar to fit whatever occasion.

4 Likes

I’ve gotten accustomed to a 5 string, but prefer a 4. BEAD is my preferred method of adding a B string

2 Likes