Aerodyne MIJ vs fender active deluxe MIM

Hey … happy new Year !
I want to buy a new bass and I’m between the fender aerodyne MIJ and the fender active deluxe MIM natural with black block inlays (70s ) .
Want to know ur opinions on which bass u prefer , I like both a lot .
I am not pro … this is only for relaxing and playing with my friends at home .!
image|292x500

The MIM natural finish/block inlays does it for me personally!

1 Like

For me - I think the Aerodyne is the best looking bass Fender makes, out of all their basses. It’s also MIJ, which (everything else being equal) is going to be higher quality on average than a MIM. And it’s a P/J, which I would always choose over a J/J personally.

1 Like

I also get easily distracted by a bass’ looks :grinning: So, in that vein, what color are you looking at for the Aerodyne??

But, really, as has been said many times for similar questions: it would be best if you could hold those basses in your hands and play them to get a feel for them… and then, of course, also hear them! It is not just about the looks… but, yes, they are important :grin:

Aerodynes are gorgeous, but, for example, their bodies are not contoured and so some complain about the rather sharp edge of the body irritating the arm (of the fretting hand) when rested there (as many people do). This mostly to the point that it would be very beneficial if you could get a feel for the basses (and potentially their weight, build quality, neck profile, etc) before deciding!

3 Likes

Thanks for ur comments , it would be the black aerodyne with no pick guard , I’m planning on buying online so it’s kinda complicated to play them cause I haven’t seen those 2 models physically so it would be more based on reviews and videos that I ve seen about this 2 basses
I like them both , the aerodyne is gorgeous and it sounds super nice , but the Mexican fender 70s style is also gorgeous

2 Likes

If there are any return policies you could avail yourself of, that might be a way to test them…

Or, just get them both :grin:

2 Likes

Exactly! You’re going to end up with multiple basses anyway. Might as well get it over with :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Matching headstock alone would seal the deal for me. I mean, technically I guess “unfinished headstock” matches the woodgrain body on the MIM, but the Aerodyne is actually rare for Fender; few of their basses have matching headstocks like that.

2 Likes

Lol yeah !! I know ! Haha

Wise words! :rofl:

That’s what I like the most of the aerodyne … it matches everything to perfection ( to my eyes )
And of course it’s sound and versatility

1 Like

While you’re contemplating your conundrum…

2 Likes

pretty much the same model that Duff McKagan used with Guns’n’roses :

Ooh. That’s a cool P.

I played an aerodyne once in a guitar center. It felt amazing. Two things I would consider. I loved how light it was but the reason it is so light is because it has a basswood body which generally come on cheaper basses. My personal opinion is that Tonewood has more to do with looks and weight than anything else but maybe look into why basswood is considered cheap. One more Thing I would consider is the lack of fret markers on the aerodyne. As a beginner I still get a bit lost on the neck so I love the inlays on the Jazz.

I guess I’m just incorrect about basswood coming on cheaper basses… the boxers are $2,000!

1 Like

Hm, I thought it was around $1200… still, not cheap, but better than $2000 :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I’m sorry. Yes 1200 but still I always thought it was weird that the $800 aerodyne had basswood but now a $1200 one does too.

1 Like

The Aerodyne does have fret markings on top of the neck, like many basses without inlays.

OK sorry. I didn’t remember that. Well then the dots will probably be enough. Like I said the aerodyne is light and amazing feeling.

1 Like